Mikes-Sacramento, CA

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

storewanderer
Veteran

Mikes-Sacramento, CA

Post by storewanderer »

Here are some pictures of this store before a new sign was put up sometime over the past year. The discount portion of the prices seems to have also gone away. Still the same other than that. I think this store is a good example of a preserved Mayfair interior. Too bad the office is on a raised platform in the middle of the side wall (between produce and what I am guessing WAS bakery) and basically has a view of the entire store or it would be really easy to take pictures inside this store as there are never more than a few employees.

http://www.geocities.com/coolstorephotos/mikes.html
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Re: Mikes-Sacramento, CA

Post by Groceteria »

storewanderer wrote:Here are some pictures of this store before a new sign was put up sometime over the past year. The discount portion of the prices seems to have also gone away. Still the same other than that. I think this store is a good example of a preserved Mayfair interior. Too bad the office is on a raised platform in the middle of the side wall (between produce and what I am guessing WAS bakery) and basically has a view of the entire store or it would be really easy to take pictures inside this store as there are never more than a few employees.

http://www.geocities.com/coolstorephotos/mikes.html
Great pictures. It's funny, but I just happen to have added pictures of this very same store on the main site last night. I ran into it completely by accident driving around Sacramento one day, and you're right that it has an amazing interior. I was also nervous about shooting pictures; maybe I'll get bak there someday with a camera phone...
storewanderer
Veteran

Mike's

Post by storewanderer »

Yes, when I saw it flagged as a former Mayfair with the new signs up in the Mayfair section of the site last night I thought I should link the old exterior photos since they made it look like more of the timewarp while the new signs make it look like a store that changed names yesterday, didn't have much of a sign budget, and will change names again tomorrow.

I've been into this place numerous times now and there never seem to be more or less than four other customers inside. That damn raised office. I've also looked around for whoever Mike is, but the place seems to be run by teenagers who don't look like they'd be too interested in me taking pictures inside of the store, although they may be oblivious.

Mike's had multiple stores in Sacramento at one point. Another was on Stockton Blvd, in a building that resembled an old Safeway but could have also been Alpha Beta I guess. The store front faced north, but the store was on a SW corner. Last I checked it was some kind of ethnic store. I never went in there, but I recall similar butcher paper promo signs out on the edges of the parking lot when I drove by it when it was Mikes to what is shown in the windows in my photograph.

It would make sense that this was a Mayfair. The store was definitly not cheap to build, and the exterior doesn't really have a NorCal look.

Perhaps the only Mayfair still left in NorCal that functions as a grocery store.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

I've split off the Daly City/San Mateo County topic drift, and it now resides here:

http://www.groceteria.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=608