Safeway Converted Pylon Stores in California

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

greebs wrote:I found an artical in the Times dated May 25, 1955 that has me still guessing
about the "Marina" style store. " It is for a store in North Hollywood that is grand opening on May 26 at 11641 Victory Blvd.

"The newest addition to the Safeway chain of markets will afford shoppers a parking lot of nearly 90,000 square feet and is constructed in a design never before used by the Safeway Company. Windows stretch accross the front of the air conditioned market with ceramic tile used between and under the glass areas."
This is definitely not a Marina store. This store has parking behind the store (relative to the street) and there's a building next to it which looks newer and could obstruct what might have also been considered the front.

I've always wondered about what this store was. It's now a Mexican market called Valley Foods Market.
TheStranger
Veteran

Post by TheStranger »

runchadrun wrote:
greebs wrote:I found an artical in the Times dated May 25, 1955 that has me still guessing
about the "Marina" style store. " It is for a store in North Hollywood that is grand opening on May 26 at 11641 Victory Blvd.

"The newest addition to the Safeway chain of markets will afford shoppers a parking lot of nearly 90,000 square feet and is constructed in a design never before used by the Safeway Company. Windows stretch accross the front of the air conditioned market with ceramic tile used between and under the glass areas."
This is definitely not a Marina store. This store has parking behind the store (relative to the street) and there's a building next to it which looks newer and could obstruct what might have also been considered the front.
Looking at the site on Live Local...

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2& ... ne=3167889

This definitely looks like a pylon store (with the pylon assembly still standing!).
Chris Sampang
greebs
Contributor

Post by greebs »

That is interesting considering it opened a month before the Highland Park store. Another fact is if the Highland Park store was converted to a "Marina" stlyle store later on, it would have had to been some major remodelling to convert it. What i don't understand is why, and only because Safeway would open up another store 1.5 miles from this one (7311 N Figueroa Street) in 1970 and an ad listing this store (March 5, 1970) does not list the one in Highland Park (134 stores are listed). I was told that this store was closed when the one on Figueroa opened, and Pic N Save moved in. I remember going to the Pic n Save as a kid in the early 70's never knowing it was a Safeway until i found this web site.
TheStranger
Veteran

Post by TheStranger »

greebs wrote:That is interesting considering it opened a month before the Highland Park store. Another fact is if the Highland Park store was converted to a "Marina" stlyle store later on, it would have had to been some major remodelling to convert it. What i don't understand is why, and only because Safeway would open up another store 1.5 miles from this one (7311 N Figueroa Street) in 1970 and an ad listing this store (March 5, 1970) does not list the one in Highland Park (134 stores are listed). I was told that this store was closed when the one on Figueroa opened, and Pic N Save moved in. I remember going to the Pic n Save as a kid in the early 70's never knowing it was a Safeway until i found this web site.
The Figueroa Street store, from this Live Local view, looks like a later marina that later received a false front as a Vons:

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2& ... ne=3418230

Since the Market Street Safeway received the pylon to Marina conversion in the middle of the decade (1965 or so), it's possible that that's when the Highland Park store had it done. Maybe Safeway leaving Highland Park was due to lease issues perhaps?
Chris Sampang