What did this CVS used to be?

Moderator: Groceteria

Ephrata1966
Veteran

What did this CVS used to be?

Post by Ephrata1966 »

There's a CVS on University Ave in Palo Alto, CA (I don't know the address) which is in a downtown area. I get the feeling it was either a Sav-on or Longs Drugs acquired by CVS. But it also could have been a Woolworth or Kresge before that. I'm surprised it's still open being very close to a relatively new Walgreens. Seems it has a lot of shoplifting, because there were black plastic "covers" over the liquor bottles (which CVS can't sell in many states).
romleys
Veteran

Re: What did this CVS used to be?

Post by romleys »

The store you are referring to is located at 352 University Ave. Before CVS the building was a Longs Drugs and before that a Woolworth. I believe I took a photo of that store when it was Longs sometime around 2003.
Charles H:)
Ephrata1966
Veteran

Post by Ephrata1966 »

Thanks! Did Woolworth here close with the chain in 1997? Because the fixtures look pretty old, and I'm surprised Longs would have kept Woolworth ones. There was a Woolworth in Easton PA which closed in 1973 and became an early Rite Aid, which lasted until it closed in 2006. Family Dollar is there now. Perhaps the Palo Alto Woolworth closed around the same time?
justin karimzad
Veteran

Post by justin karimzad »

This Woolworth's closed in 1989. You can still see the original terrazo floor in the stock room through the doors on the left wall, near the center.
http://www.paloaltohistory.com/woolwort ... o-alto.php