TG&Y

Moderator: Groceteria

Jason B.
Veteran

Re: TG&Y

Post by Jason B. »

The Livermore, Calif. TG&Y was located in the Alpha Beta shopping center on Railroad Avenue. I believe that it opened around the same time as the Alpha Beta, which opened in 1968 and closed in 1984. The Livermore TG&Y next became a J.J. Newberry. In 1997 or so, the TG&Y portion of the shopping center was converted into a "24 Hour Fitness," which it remains today.

The Alpha Beta/TG&Y shopping center also had a Thrifty Drug store for many years with a ice cream counter (now Grocery Outlet). Straw Hat Pizza had a location at the easterly end of the shopping center in the late '70s and early '80s (later a Kragen Auto Parts location) (Straw Hat, like many other pizza parlors in the early '80s, had a giant screen projection television set and many video game arcade machines).

I believe that TG&Y was known as a "junior department store" type of retail outlet. Another "junior department store" chain in the mid- and late-20th century was Sprouse-Reitz.
TenPoundHammer
Veteran

Post by TenPoundHammer »

rich wrote:TG&Y owned Scott's, another second string dime store chain that had stores in the Midwest. Scott's stores were smaller than typical Woolworth or Kresge stores. Many Eastern and Midwestern chains followed their customers to Florida so that may explain the TG&Y presence there. TG&Y dropped the Scott's name somewhere in the late 60s or early 70s on existing stores. Two Scott's/TG&Y stores I rememeber in the Cleveland area were at Forest Hills Plaza in East Cleveland and Town Center in Wickliffe. I think there also was one in Euclid at Shore Center. Forest Hills Plaza dates from the 30s and Shore center from the late 40s, so they probably would have had a longstanding footprint if the stores had been original to those centers.

Ah, that explains it. Fort Saginaw Mall had a TG&Y/Scott's. This store later became a sporting goods store and has been vacant for at least a decade (the mall is boarded up).
Rob72830
Contributor

Post by Rob72830 »

I can remember 3 TG&Y's in Little Rock when I was a kid in the 60's and 70's. One of the stores was in a little strip shopping center on East Roosevelt Rd between a Kroger's (still open) and a Kent's dollar store(now a Family Dollar). It was a little store. Another was in a tinier strip between a Kroger's and a laundramat. BTW, that Kroger's is now a DHS office. I wonder if TG&Y and Kroger had some kind of partnership? The third was in Tanglewood shopping center, on Cantrell Rd, next door to a Safeway. At the other end was a Otasco store which incidently had been owned by McCrory's some years earlier. I don't remember when the stores closed. I assume in the 80's after I had left for the Navy. I do remember a McCroys-TG&Y in Jacksonville, FL though we didn't shop there but once. Not a very big selection. We usually went to Pick-N-Save, Kmart or Zayres.
Ackman

Post by Ackman »

Here's a fun fact:

TG & Y is mentioned in a rock song. The song is "Van Halen" by the band Nerf Hurder.

The lyrics are as follows: "I bought Van Halen I it was the best damn record I ever owned, TG & Y, 1978."

I don't think they ever made it as far as MA
OCRedCub
Contributor

Post by OCRedCub »

TG&Y was similar to a Sprouse-Reitz, but larger.
I remember lots of them in North Orange County CA. My cousin worked at one in the Riverside/Corona area.
Does anybody know what T, G, and Y stood for?
I don't know the connection to Wal-Mart.
Daniel
Veteran

Post by Daniel »

This is from Wikipoo, so it may or may not be accurate. (I've always heard those same last names in reference to the chain, but this is the first I've come across first names)
The chain was named for its three founders: Rawdon E. Tomlinson, Enoch L. "Les" Gosselin, and Raymond A. Young
Jack

Post by Jack »

OCRedCub wrote:TG&Y was similar to a Sprouse-Reitz, but larger.
I remember lots of them in North Orange County CA. My cousin worked at one in the Riverside/Corona area.
There was a TG&Y in Corona back in the 1970s. It was located at the northern end of the Corona Plaza shopping center on Main Street. I think the old TG&Y building is now a big discount store of some kind. I do know that there's a Sears outlet store in the building next door, which used to be a Builder's Emporium hardware store.
Dean
Veteran

Re:

Post by Dean »

Dean wrote:
Dean wrote:The former TG & Y on Main Street in Hesperia CA is FINALLY being subdivided into a few things.

It must've been sitting vacant for 15-20yrs.

The Industry CA site was next to Alpha Beta. Became Salvation Army Thrift Shop for a spell. Believe it is not vacant.
It is now a pizza place.
Hacienda Heights Pizza Company.

Funny...as it is in the City of Industry!

Original flooring can be seen...with some of the original markings from displays/registers posts.
ashley2771

Post by ashley2771 »

A former T.G. & Y Family Center which closed in the early 90s is still intact in Waynesboro, GA, complete with sign. It is near the intersection of Georgia Hwy. 24 and US 25.