Frederick and Nelson, The Crescent, Lipmans and Lamonts

Moderator: Groceteria

marshd1000
Veteran

Frederick and Nelson, The Crescent, Lipmans and Lamonts

Post by marshd1000 »

In the section about old malls, there was a discussion about the above mentioned department stores. I just want to piece together some of the things I know about the above.

As previously mentioned, Marshall Field, though it's Federick and Nelson Division, did buy Lipmans. That would be sometime in the 1980's. I do believe that under BATUS, most of the Oregon F&N stores did become part of The Crescent, which was based in Spokane. Eventually BATUS sold off the Oregon Crescent stores to Lamonts. Before this time, Lamonts had already started opening it's own stores in SW Washington and Western Oregon. So the purchase of the Oregon Crescent stores seemed to work as part of their game plan. It is true that the Washington Square Frederick and Nelson did last awhile longer as F&N.

Batus eventually sold F&N to a group of local investors including David Sabey and Basil Vyzis (hope I spelled that right!), who were both developers. At some point, a women's clothing store called, "Great Clothes" came into the mix. This store was owned by one of the investors. What came next is not entirely clear. At one point, Great Clothes became Lipmans. At another point, they became "Frederick and Nelson Red Tag Clearance Centers". I don't remember if this happened under BATUS or under the local investors. But I am kind of thinking that Lipman's may have happened first. Also these stores were not department store sized. Plus Lipman's never exisited here in Seattle as far as I can remember.

Anyway, the Frederick and Nelson at Villa Plaza (later known as Lakewood Mall then Lakewood Town Center) in Lakewood, WA became a "Red Tag" store also. This particular store was originally a Rhodes then a Liberty House. But it was smaller than most F&N stores. When Villa Plaza became Lakewood Mall, the "Red Tag" outlet was closed and the last newly built F&N was opened. I do believe by this time it was under the ownership of the local investors.

Sometime after the Oregon Crescent stores were closed, the Spokane Crescent stores became Frederick and Nelson. This probably happened after BATUS sold them off. But I am thinking that by this time, David Sabey was the sole owner of F&N.

Somewhere around the early 90's the Lakewood Mall F&N was sold to Gottschalk's and was the sole Washington Gottschalk's for years. Sometime during this time, the "Red Tag" stores were closed.

I also believe that the Spokane stores may have been next to close, but I am not sure. But David Sabey also owned Spokane's Northtown Mall and that F&N eventually became The Bon Marche. I am not sure what happened to the University City Mall store. Did that beome a Lamonts? Downtown Spokane became "Crecent Court", which I think has been previously mentioned. Crexcent Court is a collection of businesses connected to the skywalk system.

The Olympia, Everett and Tacoma stores became Mervyn's. Aurora Village never became anything else as the whole mall was turned into a "Power Center". Bellevue Square was divided up into stores for the mall including a Bon Marche (now Macy's) home store. Southcenter became Sears. Downtown Seattle became the new Nordstrom flagship.

But Gottschalks did try to acquire the Bellevue, Downtown Seattle and Southcenter stores. I believe that they may have tried to get Aurora Village. I think that the bid was possibly accepted but the financing never happend. Also Kemper Freeman, the owner of Bellevue Square was going to fight Gottschalks moving into his mall. Before F&N at Bellevue was divided up, there was a plan for Sak's 5th Avenue to move in. But they eventually decided not to move into the space. As for Downtown Seattle, there was talk of the Seattle Public Library moving in there also.

As for Lamonts, they started having trouble in the 90's and started closing some Oregon stores. Eventually most stores were bought by Gottschalks. But eventually Gottschalks closed most of the Seattle Metro area store and has concentrated on smaller cities and towns. They also seem to do well in Alaska, where they are more like the Macy's type of store. To diverge some, there is only one Nordstorm in Alaska. And that is probably the most upscale store in the state. Most of the store are like Penney's, Sears, Wal-Mart and Fred Meyer.