Historical Department Store Mergers

Moderator: Groceteria

krogerclerk
Veteran

Historical Department Store Mergers

Post by krogerclerk »

Even sadder, Broadway, Bullock's, Robinson, along with the later Robinson-May, May California(originally Hamburger & Sons), and Liberty House form the basis of most Macy's in SoCal with I.Magnin, Macy's(O'Connor & Moffat), and the Emporium being the NorCal core. Local and regional departments were made part of the holding companies such as Federated, Carter Hawley Hale, May and R.H. Macy to ultimately become solely part of Federated, remaned Macy's Inc.
J-Man
Veteran

Re: BUFFUMS--Southern California

Post by J-Man »

Don't forget Capwell's (East Bay) and Weinstock's (Central Valley), the other two Carter/Hawley/Hale chains that ended up being Macy-ated.

Did Hamburger (predecessor to May-Calif.) have any connection with the Hamburger's clothing store chain (now defunct) in Baltimore? I always thought that it was odd that Baltimore's big department store chains: Hochschild-Kohn, Hutzler's, and Hechts-- all now gone--all began with "H", as did Hamburger's.
bigbubby
Contributor

Post by bigbubby »

J-Man wrote:Don't forget Capwell's (East Bay) and Weinstock's (Central Valley), the other two Carter/Hawley/Hale chains that ended up being Macy-ated.

Did Hamburger (predecessor to May-Calif.) have any connection with the Hamburger's clothing store chain (now defunct) in Baltimore? I always thought that it was odd that Baltimore's big department store chains: Hochschild-Kohn, Hutzler's, and Hechts-- all now gone--all began with "H", as did Hamburger's.
The Hale in Carter/Hawley/Hale originally came from Hale Brothers (not to be confused with Cleveland's Halle Brothers) which operated in both the Bay Area and Sacramento. Hale's bought Weinstock's shortly before merging with The Broadway in the 50s. The Hale's name lived on until sometime in the 60s, when the Sacramento stores were absorbed into Weinstock's and the downtown San Jose store closed. I don't know if any of their other Bay Area stores (like SF and Oakland) were still around at that point.

I work in a Macy's that had been an Emporium-Capwell. I do not hate my employer, but I do miss The Emporium.
OCRedCub
Contributor

Post by OCRedCub »

But remember that merger mania is nothing new.
Broadway in Southern CA absorbed B.H. Dyas (Hollywood), Coulter's (LA - Wilshire), Marston's (San Diego area), and Milliron's (LA - Westchester) before 1970.
Walker-Scott also had locations in San Diego, OC, and Palm Springs some of which became May Company in the 1970s.
And innumerable single location department stores that simply disappeared when downtown shoppers discovered the mall.
hushpuppy212
Contributor

Re: Historical Department Store Mergers

Post by hushpuppy212 »

Liberty House never had any stores in Southern California. They had stores in Northern California, Reno, Portland, Tacoma, Phoenix, Albuquerque, El Paso, and San Antonio. Many of these stores were inherited from Rhodes when parent company Amfac merged the two chains in the early 1970s.

Only a handful of stores (all originally built as Liberty House, none of the Rhodes stores) became Macy's.

Downtown San Francisco (1974) became Macy's Mens' in 1984
Southland (Hayward) (1972) became Emporium/Capwell in 1983. Converted to Macy' 1996
Sunrise (Sacramento) (1972) became Macy's Women's in 1984
Reno (1978) became Macy's Mens in 1984
Santa Rosa (1980) became Macy's in 1984. Sold to Gottschalk's in 1996

One Bullock's North store (Vallco-Cupertino) (1975) was sold to the Emporium when Bullock's pulled out of Northern California in 1983. This store was closed in 1996 and sat vacant for awhile, finally re-opening as a Macy's in 1997.
jamcool
Veteran

Post by jamcool »

But remember that merger mania is nothing new.
Broadway in Southern CA absorbed B.H. Dyas (Hollywood), Coulter's (LA - Wilshire), Marston's (San Diego area), and Milliron's (LA - Westchester) before 1970.
And also Korrick's in Phoenix (mid 1960s)
justin karimzad
Veteran

Post by justin karimzad »

jamcool wrote:But remember that merger mania is nothing new.
Not in Northern California either. As mentioned earlier, Liberty House, who had been owned by Amfac since 1969, took over Rhodes and changed them to Liberty House, while keeping Joseph Magnin (their other acquisition) under its own name. But before that, Rhodes had been owned by Western Department Stores for the longest time. Originally, Rhodes and Kahn's were two seperate names owned by Western Department Stores. Rhodes (as of 1957) had a store in Sacramento and two in Tacoma, WA, and a store in Fresno was about to be built. As a side note, Western Department Stores also owned two Old King stores in Portland. Kahn's had at least two stores, in Oakland and Hayward, and they were renamed Rhodes in 1960. In 1956, Kahn's had planned to move from downtown Hayward to join the freestanding Sears in what would become Southland mall, but that plan fell through (even though its reincarnation Liberty House would open there by the early 1970s, as already noted).
justin karimzad
Veteran

Post by justin karimzad »

justin karimzad wrote:
jamcool wrote:But remember that merger mania is nothing new.
Rhodes (as of 1957) had a store in Sacramento and two in Tacoma, WA, and a store in Fresno was about to be built. As a side note, Western Department Stores also owned two Old King stores in Portland. Kahn's had at least two stores, in Oakland and Hayward, and they were renamed Rhodes in 1960. In 1956, Kahn's had planned to move from downtown Hayward to join the freestanding Sears in what would become Southland mall, but that plan fell through (even though its reincarnation Liberty House would open there by the early 1970s, as already noted).
Sorry about that, Paul (Hushpuppy), I see that you knew that already;
http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache:6w ... cd=2&gl=us