1980s: "The Meat Market at Sears"

Moderator: Groceteria

Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

1980s: "The Meat Market at Sears"

Post by Groceteria »

I found this while working on a volunteer project I'm involved in at the local library. I have no memory of such a thing in 1984 (date of the ad), but I wasn't shopping at Sears a lot in those days, either. Was this whole "meat market" thing an ongoing nationwide thing, a limited promo or what?

Also note the odd logo that was being used on all their newspaper ads at the time, although the "regular" logo was still present near the bottom.

runchadrun
Veteran

Re: 1980s: "The Meat Market at Sears"

Post by runchadrun »

I found identical ads in the LA Times. There was one ad in June 1984 using the lower-case logo you have, and several in January 1985 with the 1980's logo at the top (the one in all caps with the stripe in the letters) then the ads stopped. It must not have been something that lasted very long. The steaks were sold "frozen by the box" so it doesn't sound like they had a butcher shop.
BillyGr
Veteran

Post by BillyGr »

Possibly a limited time thing they set up with someone (or some company) to bring the stuff in and sell it (kind of like when someone comes and sets up a truck in the parking lot of a store/center and sells whatever out of it - often times based on the season or holiday like flowers or fireworks where legal)?

This was during one of their down turns in sales (when they were making lower sales each year rather than higher) and they might have been looking for anything to get people into the stores.
Dave
Veteran

Post by Dave »

I remember when Sears did the meat thing here in Richmond (frozen shrimp and other seafood, too). It was a every now and then thing where the brought in frozen bulk food and sold it. Frankly, I never really thought about buying meat at Sears and don't recall for sure if it was one of those "out of the truck" deals, but I believe it was.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

"Come see the frozen side of Sears..."