Macy's West Covina CA (old building) demolished this week

Moderator: Groceteria

luckysaver
Veteran

Macy's West Covina CA (old building) demolished this week

Post by luckysaver »

This article on the former Bullock's/later Macy's (pre-Robinson May) at the Westfield Shoppingtown West Covina was in this week's San Gabriel Valley Tribune:

Macy's site demolished at Westfield West Covina
Article Launched: 10/01/2008 11:15:21 PM PDT

The former Macy's store in West Covina is being torn down to make room for a smaller retailer and five restaurants. (Watchara Phomicinda / Staff Photographer)WEST COVINA - The Westfield West Covina mall is about to have one less Macy's department store.

Workers this week began demolishing the 144,527- square-foot building on the north side of the mall.

The mall faced the dilemma of having two Macy's on the same property when Federated Department Stores Inc., which owned Macy's, bought May Department Stores Co. in 2005. The mall's May Co. store was converted to a Macy's.

The store being demolished was closed in March.

Officials from Westfield plan to build a retail store and restaurants at the site.

City officials hope Westfield creates an outdoor "town center"-type development at the site, they said.

- From staff reports

I recently heard that Best Buy will be the anchor of this new section, moving from The Lakes
across the street on the Vincent side. The adjacent Tower Records building is a Halloween Costume shop for a short time and no word what will permanently replace Tower.

luckysaver

Photo below courtesy of San Gabriel Valley Tribune.

Note the very clear and readable "Bullocks" labelscar. I first saw the old scar from the 10 Freeway several years ago when the "Macys" logo was placed. They never bothered painting the exterior building when Bullocks converted to Macys. The building served as a substore for the larger Macy unit (former Robinsons May), selling home furnishings and menswear until Macy's renovated the RM building and incorporated the substore's merchandise in the larger facility.
Attachments
20081002_030800_SV02-MACY_300.jpg
20081002_030800_SV02-MACY_300.jpg (13.38 KiB) Viewed 4240 times
Jeff
Veteran

Re: Macy's West Covina CA (old building) demolished this week

Post by Jeff »

Actually, Macy's took out a good section of the mall out to add on to the store. You can tell inside where the new store ends and the old store begins, as there are differences in the way the columns are, and there is a metal strip on the ground where the store first ended.

Its sad to see this nice building go. Sure its small, but it had character and was modern for the time it was built.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Funny too...how the Fashion Plaza evolved with May/Rob/Macy*s.

May was @ Eastland...and then moved to the Fashion Plaza turned The Plaza at West Covina...now Westfield.

The former May @ Eastland is now Target.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

The Robinsons-May at The Plaza never was a May Co. Technically.

It was planned before the two names merged, but opened as a Robinsons-May.
I want to say it was one of the first to open as a Robinsons-May.

(SORRY DAVID/CHAD I KNOW ITS OFF TOPIC)
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

I drove by the site yesterday. The old Bullocks store is now just a skeleton of its old self. New signs out on the fence have Best Buy opening in Fall 2009, and new restaurants. It looks like they are going to use the skeleton of the old building from the designs I saw.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Jeff wrote:I drove by the site yesterday. The old Bullocks store is now just a skeleton of its old self. New signs out on the fence have Best Buy opening in Fall 2009, and new restaurants. It looks like they are going to use the skeleton of the old building from the designs I saw.
Yup...saw it over the weekend as well! Funny how they stripped it down to just the framing! Had to look again to see if it was old or new framing!