Woolworth's UK in trouble?

Moderator: Groceteria

wrallen99
Contributor

Woolworth's UK in trouble?

Post by wrallen99 »

It looks like Woolworth's in Britain is in trouble. Will they disappear like the original US company?

http://www.ktar.com/index.php?nid=48&sid=995157
javelin
Veteran

Re: Woolworth's UK in trouble?

Post by javelin »

Yes, it fell into "Administration" today, which is the same as bankruptcy. Woollies will be gone by year's end. They were once as popular as Walmart or Target is here today, but they've been struggling for years, and in Europe, hypermarkets have taken over.
rich
Veteran

Post by rich »

I thought they had closed years ago. They didn't seem to have many stores when I visited England earlier in the decade. The US chain maintained minority ownership of the UK chain for many years and then sold their interest quite awhile before they closed the US variety stores, in part because of their lackluster performance through the 60s and 70s. The UK stores had different assortments, including a lot of grocery items.
javelin
Veteran

Post by javelin »

I hadn't seen even one when I was in London about 8 years ago, and my grandmother who lived in England during WW2 thought they had gone under years ago as well. It became part of our family's discussion Thanksgiving of stores that aren't around anymore.