the BROADWAY

Moderator: Groceteria

RXSQ
Contributor

Re: the BROADWAY

Post by RXSQ »

Dean wrote:Found the following on the Broadway. Gotta' love the old graphics!
Sites became:
Riverside--Macy*s (correct?)
Carson--IKEA. Awesome outdoor escalator/stairs added
Yes, the Riverside store became Macy's in 1996, but is now vacant following the 2006 merger with Federated, which moved the Macy's into the former Robinson's-May location. Here's a photo from 2006, just prior to the Federated merger (and re-location), showing the Macy's nameplate atop the former Broadway store (which is 1 of 3 Broadway-Hale stores built using the "stacked blocks" architectural design):

Macy's (formerly The Broadway) - Galleria at Tyler, Riverside

----
The Carson store, which is modified version of the stacked blocks concept, as seen today with the added exterior escalator treatment added by IKEA:

IKEA (formerly The Broadway) - South Bay Pavilion, Carson
---

More photos of a few Los Angeles County malls can be found here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/12956306@N ... 002774854/.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

The modified stacked block (as seen at Carson) was only done on three Broadway stores: Carson, Puente Hills (demolished in 1996) and one in Arizona.

That Jo-Ann/Macys Home in your pictures was a Broadway store prior. It closed in 1996 as a Broadway, and opened the next year as a Macys Home on the upper two levels only. The first level became a large Jo-Ann Fabrics. The Escalators to the first floor are still there, just hidden under walls now. Macys main store was a Bullocks, and Macys second store was originally a Robinsons, later Robinsons-May. This is the only mall that has 2 full line Macys and a Home Store.

The Macys in Cerritos used to be a Broadway. The New Nordstroms was the site of an old Robinsons (later Robinsons-May).

And SORRY TO GO SLIGHTLY OFF SUBJECT BUT SINCE I'm MENTIONING MACYS:
The smallest Macys store built after the acquisition of The Broadway/Bullocks was the Montebello Town Center Store. this store opened in 2001. At 2 levels and 90,000 feet, it was slightly larger than the Mervyns. In 2006 they remodeled the old May Co/Robinsons-May store to the clothing departments and the Macys became a home and furnishings store.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Jeff wrote:The modified stacked block (as seen at Carson) was only done on three Broadway stores: Carson, Puente Hills (demolished in 1996) and one in Arizona.
For the BROADWAY...yet, also utilized for Weinstocks:

http://www.groceteria.com/board/viewtop ... 9&start=30
RXSQ
Contributor

Post by RXSQ »

Jeff wrote:... That Jo-Ann/Macys Home in your pictures was a Broadway store prior. ... The Macys in Cerritos used to be a Broadway. The New Nordstroms was the site of an old Robinsons (later Robinsons-May).
Thanks for the clarification on the Flickr images. I was hoping folks here would chime in with additional info. Some of the stores had obvious signs of being one chain or another in the past (particularly the old Broadway interiors), but not having grown up in the immediate area, I was not 100% certain.

I will update the photos. Please feel free to fill in any other missing or interesting info!
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

You can ask me anything.

One thing about the Broadway, there is still one store that has all the signage still up: Hawthorne.
This store closed around 1997-98 after becoming the Broadway Clearance Center (same as Pasadena, which later returned to a full line store).
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

The San Bernardino location (mentioned above)...turned Macy*s, then completely remodeled to open as Mervyn's, and never did, as the chain closed.

The entire site is now Forever 21. Need to get in to see if it was transformed much.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

Dean wrote:The San Bernardino location (mentioned above)...turned Macy*s, then completely remodeled to open as Mervyn's, and never did, as the chain closed.

The entire site is now Forever 21. Need to get in to see if it was transformed much.
I went into it yesterday. Here is my 411:

Mervyns had mentioned that the store was 2 levels, while the old BROADWAY was 3. They had indeed walled the escalators to the third level. The Elevator still has the UP / DOWN buttons on level 2, but they reprogrammed the elevator you can only go down to level 1. I wonder what the condition of the top floor is. Did Mervyns completely gut it? I know someone who works or F21 in LA, and he told me that FOREVER 21 doesn't remodel the areas they dont use, so for example the other levels at Riverside Plaza still look like the old Harris/Gottschalk. They only redid the levels they used.

Also, Mervyns had moved the entrances to the store on the first level. They put display windows where the doors were originally and put the new entry where the old display window was. Kind of odd, since the walkways follow the original route.
Barstow2Needles
Contributor

Post by Barstow2Needles »

The Broadway at the Hawthorne Plaza is one of the few remaining Broadway stores that have yet to be re-used or demolished. Here is the view from the mall's main street entrance (still maintains the original signage lettering after all these years!)

Mall entrance to the Hawthrone's Broadway

Signage above the window display case at the former Broadway at the Montclair Plaza -- one can still faintly see the old sign when looking at just the right angle ;-)

Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

Dean wrote:
jamcool wrote:
Jeff wrote:A third has been found.

Metrocenter Mall in Phoenix.

The Macys store closed and moved into the former Robinsons-May location. So this store could have been demolished by now.
The ex-Broadway at Metrocenter is still standing at this time.
Funny how designs changed over the years.

In the older photos above...there are a TON of windows. Yet, this type had NO windows!
There is another! A 4th store I just discovered today.

PUENTE HILLS (demolished)

CARSON (reused as IKEA)

METROCENTER MALL (vacant)

and now.....

Fashion Place Mall in Murray UT. Opened in 1974 as a Broadway, then was rebranded as a Weinstocks. Closed in 1993 and reopened as a Dillards. Still sports the stacked box look.