Montgomery Ward 1970s signage

Moderator: Groceteria

Super S
Veteran

Montgomery Ward 1970s signage

Post by Super S »

Did Montgomery Ward ever use the 1970s logo with the rectangle around it as signage on any of their stores? I seem to remember that the store in Ohio's Sandusky Mall MIGHT have used it, but I am not 100% sure of this.

This is the logo I am referring to:

http://www.retro-housewife.com/images/l ... o-1977.jpg

Every other location I have seen with this version of the logo just has the letters without the rectangle. Sandusky opened in the early-mid 70s I believe, but one store in Portland at Clackamas Town Center. which opened around 1981 or 1982, had this sign without the rectangle.
Jeff
Veteran

Re: Montgomery Ward 1970s signage

Post by Jeff »

Yes.

The San Bernardino's Carousel Mall store had, er still has, that Logo on it.

Here is what that store looks like today. The logo was unaltered till about a few years ago when they finally painted over it.

Here is the logo on the North Side of the Store:
http://www.rapidtransit-press.com/socalmall262.jpg

This was the only store that I can think of in Southern California that had that logo.

Other stores had the 60's M O N T G O M E R E Y W A R D
Or the 80's logo.
TenPoundHammer
Veteran

Post by TenPoundHammer »

The store at Rogers Plaza in Grand Rapids used to have that logo. This store opened in 1960 with the mall, and stayed until 2001. It was demolished a couple years ago for AJ Wright (the only new-build AJ Wright I've ever seen) and a Family Fare Supermarket, the former of which opens out to the mall. Here's a pic:

Same store in the 1960s:

Also, are you sure there was a Wards at Sandusky Mall? I've found no evidence of Sandusky Mall ever having a Wards. All the anchors look original (except for Macy's being a former May/Kaufmann's).
Super S
Veteran

Post by Super S »

TenPoundHammer wrote:The store at Rogers Plaza in Grand Rapids used to have that logo. This store opened in 1959 with the mall, and stayed until 2001. It was demolished a couple years ago for AJ Wright (the only new-build AJ Wright I've ever seen) and a Family Fare Supermarket, the former of which opens out to the mall. Here's a pic:

Same store in the 1960s:

Also, are you sure there was a Wards at Sandusky Mall? I've found no evidence of Sandusky Mall ever having a Wards. All the anchors look original (except for Macy's being a former May/Kaufmann's).

I am 100% sure Sandusky Mall had a Montgomery Ward. Sears took over the space after Montgomery Ward closed. We moved away in 1982, on my first return visit in 1992 it was a Sears. Sears previously had an old store with the 1960s signage on Perkins Ave in a strip mall, part of which is now a Big Lots.
jamcool
Veteran

Post by jamcool »

Valley West Mall in Glendale (AZ) had a Wards with the blue block logo (it was built in 1973)

Anf the Wards in El Con Mall in Tucson used the blue block logo all the way to the shut-down of the Wards operation