Kmart checkouts over the years

Moderator: Groceteria

Super S

Kmart checkouts over the years

Post by Super S » 10 Dec 2018 00:24

Kmart's early stores used mechanical cash registers, but I am curious about the timeline when Kmart first used electronic cash registers, and the year that they last used a mechanical register. (I was born in 1973) The only mechanical one in a Kmart I can remember was in a standalone auto center building at the store on Americana in Boise, Idaho in the early 1980s. I remember this as my sister paid to have a muffler replaced on her car. However, at that time the main store had electronic cash registers which were non-scanning Data Terminal Systems registers. I can not recall one where the mechanical ones were still in use at the main checkouts, and I have they impression that they moved quickly to implement electronic registers during the 1970s. Some other chains had mechanical registers in use at the main checkouts much later as I do remember a few Safeway stores having them until the mid-1980s, and one Fred Meyer store still using mechanical registers in the variety section (even though grocery had scanners by then) up until about 1989 or 1990.

The first time I remember a scanner in use at a Kmart was around 1989 or 1990 at a store in the Portland area, and it seemed like another year or two before all of them had scanners, but there were about 4-5 systems in use which were various models of IBM, NCR, and Fujitsu units depending on location.

It wasn't until the early to mid 2000s before Kmart had one system in use chainwide, which is the IBM system currently in use by Kmart.

TW-Upstate NY

Re: Kmart checkouts over the years

Post by TW-Upstate NY » 10 Dec 2018 13:44

My first experience with K-Mart was in late 1973 when the Dickson City, Pa. store opened and they had the electronic (digital) registers from the get-go throughout the store and at the front end as well. As I recall, they were rather large and kind of square(ish) or boxy. The readout was kind of a blue(ish) green and the number shapes would be similar to what you'd see on early calculator which were just coming into vogue at that time as well.

Super S

Post by Super S » 14 Dec 2018 02:33

TW-Upstate NY wrote:
10 Dec 2018 13:44
My first experience with K-Mart was in late 1973 when the Dickson City, Pa. store opened and they had the electronic (digital) registers from the get-go throughout the store and at the front end as well. As I recall, they were rather large and kind of square(ish) or boxy. The readout was kind of a blue(ish) green and the number shapes would be similar to what you'd see on early calculator which were just coming into vogue at that time as well.
The NCR 280 fits this description, and was widely used by Kmart. However, I do remember some also used the NCR 255 (which also fits the description), which had the blueish green display but also had red LED? indicator lights on the face of the register.

Super S

Post by Super S » 26 Dec 2018 21:05

Also, I am trying to remember if the Jupiter stores used the same models of registers as Kmart. Jupiter was gone by the time Kmart installed scanners, but I do remember Kmart price tags being used in Jupiter in the early 1980s.