Department Store Gas Stations

Moderator: Groceteria

tkaye
Veteran

Post by tkaye »

Super S wrote:For what it's worth, the Fred Meyer store in Longview, WA has a Les Schwab tire center on its southwest corner as an outparcel building. I am not sure if it ever had a gas station, as I do not remember one since the late 80s. I have always wondered if it was originally a Fred Meyer-owned building as it is somewhat smaller than a typical Les Schwab, and has some architectural features similar to the Fred Meyer store. A few years ago Fred Meyer did construct a gas station, on its southeast corner.
The Fred Meyer at 72nd and Pacific in Tacoma has a Les Schwab in the parking lot that was originally a Fred Meyer service station, so it's entirely possible. The tip-off for me was a very dated looking sign above the garage doors that lists the services available -- batteries, tires, brakes, etc. It was clearly not a Les Schwab sign... backlit white plastic that was "textured" with squares and raised red lettering. If the Longview store has this sign, I'd say it's a dead giveaway. If I can remember, I'll try to take a picture someday. The modern "FM Fuel Stop" is literally a stone's throw from the Les Schwab.

By the way, do you have any idea when the Longview store was built? I'm curious if Fred Meyer methodically worked their way up I-5 from Portland, or if they built/acquired locations in the Seattle-Tacoma metro before entering, say, Tumwater and Longview. Both of the Tacoma stores were built in 1973.
Super S
Veteran

Post by Super S »

tkaye wrote:
Super S wrote:For what it's worth, the Fred Meyer store in Longview, WA has a Les Schwab tire center on its southwest corner as an outparcel building. I am not sure if it ever had a gas station, as I do not remember one since the late 80s. I have always wondered if it was originally a Fred Meyer-owned building as it is somewhat smaller than a typical Les Schwab, and has some architectural features similar to the Fred Meyer store. A few years ago Fred Meyer did construct a gas station, on its southeast corner.
The Fred Meyer at 72nd and Pacific in Tacoma has a Les Schwab in the parking lot that was originally a Fred Meyer service station, so it's entirely possible. The tip-off for me was a very dated looking sign above the garage doors that lists the services available -- batteries, tires, brakes, etc. It was clearly not a Les Schwab sign... backlit white plastic that was "textured" with squares and raised red lettering. If the Longview store has this sign, I'd say it's a dead giveaway. If I can remember, I'll try to take a picture someday. The modern "FM Fuel Stop" is literally a stone's throw from the Les Schwab.

By the way, do you have any idea when the Longview store was built? I'm curious if Fred Meyer methodically worked their way up I-5 from Portland, or if they built/acquired locations in the Seattle-Tacoma metro before entering, say, Tumwater and Longview. Both of the Tacoma stores were built in 1973.
The Les Schwab has the typical signage...nothing unusual. The only thing worth noting though is that the sign by the road has the word "Tires" lit up in neon, but is otherwise a typical sign.

I believe the Longview store was built in the mid 1970s. I have not seen an identical store in the Portland area, but as for exterior appearance, it was similar to the Vancouver store at I-205 and Mill Plain (which I believe to be about 1-2 years newer) until the Longview store received a massive remodel and expansion a few years ago.
timbabcock
Contributor

Gov-Mart Bazar

Post by timbabcock »

Gov Mart Bazar operated Gas Stations within there stores as well as stand alone locations in the Seattle area. The Tacoma Public Library Pictorial History website has a picture of one you can see just by searching for Gov Mart (I would post the full link but they never work. Here it is to the site http://search.tacomapubliclibrary.org)

Remnants of these gas stations can be found at the former Renton (now Wal Mart), Burien (shopping center next to the park and ride lot), and North Seattle locations (Ross). The stations operate under the USA Gasoline name today.
tkaye
Veteran

Re: Gov-Mart Bazar

Post by tkaye »

timbabcock wrote:Remnants of these gas stations can be found at the former Renton (now Wal Mart), Burien (shopping center next to the park and ride lot), and North Seattle locations (Ross). The stations operate under the USA Gasoline name today.
The Lakewood gas station building that's in the TPL database is still there too... gas is no longer being sold there, however. The old Lakewood Gov-Mart property is still in the name of (the recently deceased) Gov-Mart founder Joe Diamond, by the way. Fred Meyer, Costco, and now Grocery Outlet have all used the site since Gov-Mart Baza'r folded.
marshd1000
Veteran

Post by marshd1000 »

Here's a interesting sidenote on the Burien Gov Mart location. Wesbild Shopping Centers from Vancouver, BC bought the property in 2004. It is going to be developed into Burien Town Plaza with Bartell Drugs and Ace Hardware as new anchors along with Staples and Saars Marketplace. Wesbild also owns Westwood Village in West Seattle.
timbabcock
Contributor

Post by timbabcock »

marshd1000 wrote:Here's a interesting sidenote on the Burien Gov Mart location. Wesbild Shopping Centers from Vancouver, BC bought the property in 2004. It is going to be developed into Burien Town Plaza with Bartell Drugs and Ace Hardware as new anchors along with Staples and Saars Marketplace. Wesbild also owns Westwood Village in West Seattle.
I didn't know that property was part of the project. They have really done a lot of working in Downtown Burien for the past few years now. I like the way they fixed the sidewalks and added new street parking in there. With all the trouble at the park and ride lot over the last serval years, maybe this will do the trick to change things.
marshd1000
Veteran

Post by marshd1000 »

Oh, I should note that Burien Town Plaza is adjacent to Burien Town Square and have different developers. Also the parcel which contains the former Gov-Mart gas station is probably not part of the Town Plaza project. But I have heard that the Burien Transit Center, which was originally Gov-Mart property is supposed to be redeveloped into a tranist center with condos and shops on top.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Jeff wrote: The Broadway chain here had auto centers.
Yes. When The Broadway was demolished at the Puente Hills Mall for the AMC theater...the auto center became an independent place. It is still operating today.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Fed*Mart in La Habra CA was at the corner of Beach Boulevard & Imperial Highway. The front of the store faced Beach. When SMITH'S demolished the site...it altered the front to face Imperial. VONS subsequently acquired the site from Smith's.

Isn't the current Firestone auto center facing Beach the original Fed*Mart auto center?