Nurseryland

Moderator: Groceteria

Dean
Veteran

Nurseryland

Post by Dean »

Noticed a former Nurseryland location...and wondered if many are still standing.

I tried to find a picture online...to no avail. Also, can't seem to find any history of the chain.

They kind of look like a HUGE Jack-in-the-Box...with shingles.

Colton CA=currently tied into Fiesta Village.
Diamond Bar CA=currently an independent nursery

Others?
RandallFlagg
Contributor

Re: Nurseryland

Post by RandallFlagg »

I remember there was a location in the Montclair Plaza. It was behind Penney's up against I-10. I'm pretty sure the nursery in Rancho Cucamonga was a Nurseryland. It was located on Foothill Blvd. between Hellman and Archibald. It was on the south side and in the old Mayfair, then Perry's market parking lot. If you check bing maps or google maps it still shows. On bing it shows a running nursery and on google an empty one. I found an article about an Alta Loma woodworker from 1994 and they were describing urban growth and the list reads of 90s Foothill blvd from Carnelian to Turner. Here's the quote:

"In other directions, the same rocky soil optimistically sprouts baby boom towns. Precisely landscaped streets link look-alike tracts to the sustaining In-N-Out-Soup Plantation-Kragan-Payless-Petco-Blockbuster-Chuck E. Cheese's-Wienerschnitzel-Nurseryland-McDonald's-Daily Donuts-PIP-U.S. Nails-Wherehouse-Play Co.-Spires-Auto Express-Mervyn's-Chili's-Pep Boys sprawl." quoted from

Code: Select all

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/thedailymirror/2009/week21/index.html
Growing up in Cucamonga, I've been in all those places, some still there.

As far as what happened to the nursery, it was bought by Armstrong Garden Centers: Here's their statement on their site:

1990s: Expanding locations and expertise
Under Mr. Kunce's leadership Armstrong Garden Centers continued to expand and in 1996, bought San Diego-based Nurseryland. Out of the fifteen Nurseryland garden centers aquired, six were closed and nine were remodeled. Armstrong Garden Centers currently has 32 locations in Southern California and 2 locations in the Bay Area.
Dean
Veteran

Re: Nurseryland

Post by Dean »

Noticed that the Colton location was either torn down and rebuilt or completely remodeled for the Fiesta Village park. Looks nothing like the old location...