Burger Chef

Moderator: Groceteria

Jeff
Veteran

Re: Burger Chef

Post by Jeff »

State College Blvd in Anaheim seems to be the place for dead restaurants that are still there. They have an old-school style Del Taco (now something else), a Kentucky Roast Beef, and a former Burger Chef...amongst others.

The burger chef is independent, but still has the original sign that says HAMBURGERS. Amazing to see. The building has had a slight remodel over the years but looks the same.
Here is the former Burger Chef, located just south of Lincoln.

The former KRB is two blocks south of it.
marshd1000
Veteran

Post by marshd1000 »

tkaye wrote:
Brian Lutz wrote:As for Burger Chef, that was before my time, but how widespread were they in this area?
Burger Chef only made it as far north as the Portland-Vancouver market. There's an intact "Cosmo 2" Burger Chef building near Portland State University. I've got to think it's only a matter of time before it gets swallowed up by the surrounding development.
I have to disagree. There may not have been many Burger Chef outlets in the Seattle area. But there was at least one. The location I remember is in White Center south of Seattle at 16th Ave SW and SW 100th Street. I ate there as a child. After it was Burger Chef, it became Zantigo's. I had mentioned this in a earlier thread about Kentucky Roast Beef, where I had mentioned that KFC had a Mexican concept before it was a corporate sibling of Taco Bell. Anyway, when KFC pulled the plug on Zantigo, the White Center location became Viva Mexico. That restaurant later moved down the street across from Albertson's SavOn, which incidentally was store 100 for Albertson's.
Bearhawke
Contributor

Post by Bearhawke »

Burger Chef: I remember the one in south Arlington, Va. on Glebe Rd, it was actually south of I 95. Note this was ca. 1977 in all fairness.
Bearhawke in Arizona
Clifton

Post by Clifton »

For those looking for a Burger Chef(ish) fix, try Suzi's in South Charleston, WV. As can be read in the article below, this local chain (two stores?) is not only in an old Burger Chef building, but still uses the original Burger Chef menu boards and works bar.

http://www.brokenchains.blog/2018/07/bu ... i.html?m=1

I ate here last summer while passing through. Although I wasn't as impressed as the article's author, the Big Chef clone was close, but the fries weren't. My friend who accompanied me went for the breakfast sandwiches mentioned in the article and declared them excellent.