Grocers in "real" malls - not strip malls

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region.

Moderator: Groceteria

Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

In Redlands CA...VONS was a part of the Redlands Mall. When a replacement VONS was built...the VONS became Sav-On...now CVS. I believe remnants of VONS could be seen when it was Sav-On.
TenPoundHammer
Veteran

Post by TenPoundHammer »

These are all the grocery anchored malls I can think of in the state of Michigan. Forgive the long post, but heck, we had a LOT of these things.

Michigan
* Brighton Mall, Brighton - was anchored by WT Grant (now Kmart) and A&P (later Farmer Jack, now torn down). Mall torn down except for Kmart in 1996.
* Courtland Center (former Eastland Mall), Burton - Featured both A & P and Kroger when it opened in 1968. Neither store opened out into the mall. A & P later became Jo-Ann Fabrics and is soon to become Lane Bryant/Cacique. I believe that Kroger is now Old Country Buffet.
* Westborn Mall, Dearborn - 1950s era enclosed strip mall. Kroger was originally the eastern anchor; this store closed in the early 2000s when a new Kroger was built at the other end of the mall, replacing a long-vacant Crowley Milner & Co. (Crowley's) store. The original Kroger is now Marshalls, and still looks exactly like a Kroger. And yes, the new store opens out into the mall too.
* Delta Plaza Mall, Escanaba - Featured Red Owl Supermarket as an anchor upon opening in 1970. Former Red Owl is now part of JCPenney.
* Dort Mall, Flint - Featured A & P as an anchor at one point. I believe that the former A & P is now Big Lots.
* Genesee Valley Mall, Flint - Hamady Brothers Supermarket was an original tenant of the mall when it opened in 1970.
* Grand Mall (former Bella Vista Mall), Grand Blanc - Very small mall originally anchored by Kroger and a branch of downtown department store Smith Bridgman's. The former Smith Bridgman's has been torn down, and Kroger has expanded into some of the mall space, swallowing Sav-Mor Drugs, ACE Hardware and the north entrance to the mall. This was converted to Kessel for a while, and has since reverted to Kroger. The store used to open out into the mall but no longer does.
* Trillium Circle, Grand Blanc - This one is somewhat retroactive. Trillium Circle is a lifestyle center currently under construction. The center was to be anchored by an existing Colony Market (independent supermarket, possibly 1970s vintage), but Colony Market closed in 2005.
* Breton Village, Grand Rapids - D & W Supermarket is the ONLY anchor in this 1950s era mall (still alive and well). It was originally a Kroger.
* Eastland Center, Harper Woods - 1950s era mall also. May have had a Kroger, seeing as Northland and Westland (by the same developers) did.
* Midtown Mall, Iron Mountain - 1980s (?) era enclosed strip mall. Only anchor is Super One Foods.
* Gull Crossing (East Towne Mall), Kalamazoo - Tiny 1970s mall originally anchored by A & P and Kmart. A & P later became Save-a-Lot and is now vacant. Actually, just about everything's empty at the mall now, save for a theater.
* Maple Hill Mall, Kalamazoo - Originally featured a combination TurnStyle/Jewel Foods as an anchor. Jewel Foods later moved to West Main Mall below, and Meijer took over the TurnStyle location. When Meijer moved to a new store, the TurnStyle/Jewel space was torn down for Target. The mall has been demalled but Target still lives on.
* West Main Mall, Kalamazoo - Originally featured Kroger as an inline tenant. Kroger closed in the 1970s. Later on, in the late 1980s, it saw another grocery anchor when Jewel Foods moved into the former JCPenney (originally WT Grant) space at this mall. Jewel Foods lives on as Harding's, although the rest of the mall has been demalled.
* Kentwood Village Mall, Kentwood - Late 70s-early 80s enclosed mall that never took off. Kroger was the only anchor. Kroger later became a bowling alley. The entire mall, including the ex-Kroger, is now offices.
* Wonderland Mall, Livonia - Sources indicate that this (now torn down) mall featured Farmer Jack and Food Fair at one point.
* Marquette Mall, Marquette - Featured Angeli's Supermarket and Woolworth as anchors. Woolworth became Menard's and is now Big Lots. Angeli's is now a car dealer. That's right, a mall anchored by a car dealer!
* M & M Plaza, Menominee - Very small enclosed mall anchored by Angeli's Supermarket, CVS/Pharmacy (former Osco Drug), and Kmart.
* Meridian Mall, Okemos - I know that this mall had a theater complex (now closed) that used to be a grocery store. I'm not sure what brand store it was, but Kroger is my first guess.
* Southland Mall, Portage - 1950s strip mall that was later enclosed. Featured a Kroger at one point; this store is now MC Sporting Goods.
* Village of Rochester Hills, Rochester Hills - Lifestyle center that opened on the site of a very small enclosed mall. One of the lifestyle center's anchors is Farmer Jack Food Emporium, which sounds like a "specialty" grocer to me.
* Fort Saginaw Mall, Saginaw - Originally anchored by Federals (later Burlington Coat, then Phar-Mor), Scott's (later T G & Y) and a Kmart/Kmart Foods which didn't open out into the mall. Kmart later expanded into the Kmart foods space. The mall closed in the mid 1990s, except for Kmart which closed in 2005.
* Tel-12 Mall, Southfield - Featured Wrigley Supermarket at one point, which later became part of Kmart. I don't know if Wrigley's opened into the mall or not.
* Oakland Mall, Troy - Wrigley Supermarket was the middle anchor of this mid-size mall. The Wrigley store was later converted to a very small JCPenney in the 1970s. The former store was torn down in 1980 for a new wing and a new JCPenney (still there).
* Orchard Mall, West Bloomfield - A very, VERY small mall in a Detroit suburb. Opened in the 1970s with a grocery anchor (perhaps Kroger?). Currently anchored by Hiller's Supermarket.
* Westland Center, Westland - Originally featured Kroger as an anchor. Kroger was torn down in the 1970s for a new wing anchored by JCPenney.
* Rogers Plaza, Wyoming - Opened 1960 with Kroger as one of its anchors. If I'm not mistaken, the former Kroger spot is now MC Sports.

In my next post, I will move on to other Midwestern states. Be warned that the Midwest is rather mall-heavy, so expect more long lists.
TenPoundHammer
Veteran

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Illinois
* Brickyard Mall, Chicago - Mall torn down. One of the original anchors was Jewel Foods. Jewel/Osco (now Jewel/CVS) has a new store on the site of the old mall.
* Washington Square Mall, Homewood - Had Dominick's Supermarket. Mall torn down. New development features Jewel Foods.
* Hillcrest Shopping Center, Joliet - Open air mall that featured Jewel Foods among its anchors. Is now a plain ol' strip anchored by Food 4 Less.
* Times Square Mall, Mount Vernon - Previously anchored by County Fresh Market, which is now Goody's.
* Harlem-Irving Plaza, Norridge - 1950s era strip, enclosed in 1979. Had Kroger at one point.
* Park Forest Mall, Park Forest - Open air mall that had Jewel Foods. Closed 1995, now a downtown district.
* Fairhills Mall, Springfield - Enclosed strip anchored by Jewel/CVS (former Jewel/Osco).
* Brementowne Mall, Tinley Park - Mall appears to still be open. Previously featured Dominick's.
* Sunnycrest Mall, Urbana - Previously had IGA.
* North Park Mall, Villa Park - previously anchored by Dominick's.

Indiana
* Parkwest Center, Fort Wayne - Very small enclosed mall. Previously anchored by Scott's Super Valu.
* Eastgate Consumer Mall, Indianapolis - Previously anchored by Standard Grocery, which later became Kittles Rooms Express. Mall torn down.
* Lafayette Square, Indianapolis - Had a Kroger at one point, which was torn down for LS Ayres (now Macy's) wing.
* Maple Lane Mall (now LaPorte Town Square), LaPorte - Anchored by Al's Market, Kmart, and Stage (originally something else). Al's and Kmart have survived the demalling.
* Calumet Square, Munster - Former outdoor mall, was anchored by Kroger and Wards. Former Kroger is now a dollar store.

Minnesota (keep in mind I've never been to Minnesota)
* Skyline Mall, Albert Lea - One of the mall's original anchors was JCPenney, which closed in 1994 and became Rainbow Foods. Rainbow Foods has since closed.
* Valley West Shopping Center, Bloomington - Enclosed strip mall anchored by Cub Foods and Marshalls.
* Champlin Plaza Mall, Champlin - Small mall anchored by Snyder Drug and Rainbow Foods; demalled in 2000. Snyder Drug lives on in a new location, and Rainbow Foods is now a school.
* Southdale Mall, Edina - Old directories indicate that this mall had a Buttrey Food & Drug at one point.
* Faribo West Mall, Faribault - Previously had a Hy-Vee, which I believe is now a closed-up Family Dollar.
* Westridge Mall, Fergus Falls - had Red Owl as an anchor. Most of mall torn down.
* Mesabi Mall, Hibbing - Small mall with Super One Supermarket and L&M Farm Supply (former Pamida).
* Terrace Mall, Robbinsdale - Was a small mall anchored by Montgomery Ward and Rainbow Foods. Demalled in 1995.
* Har Mar Mall, Roseville - Cub Foods is one of the anchors. Previous to Cub Foods' opening in the 1980s, this mall featured two other supermarkets: Hove's and National Food Store.
* Apache Plaza, St. Anthony Village - Mall torn down in 2004. Once had Red Owl Supermarket.
* Knollwood Mall, St. Louis Park - Currently features Cub Foods as an anchor, although Cub Foods' wing has been demalled for a TJ Maxx & More. Previous to Cub Foods opening (in a former Wards), the mall featured a Red Owl.
* Shoreview (Village) Mall, Shoreview - Anchored by Fresh & Natural Foods, a former Jubilee Foods.
* Winona Mall, Winona - Very tiny mall anchored by Midtown Foods (former Montgomery Ward).

Ohio
* Athens Mall, Athens - Anchored by Kroger, which has survived the demalling.
* Tanglewood Square, Chagrin Falls - Anchored by Giant Eagle.
* Swifton Commons (now Jordan Crossing), Cincinnati - featured Kroger and Liberal Supermarket. Mall is now offices.
* Tri County Mall, Cincinnati - Previously anchored by Kroger, which is now mall space
* Shoregate, Cleveland - Former enclosed strip. Featured Fisher Foods, Foodtown (later A&P, then Stop & Shop, now Giant Eagle), AND Pick & Pay.
* Kingsdale Mall, Columbus - Anchored by Macy's (nee Lazarus) and Giant Eagle.
* Forest Park Plaza, Dayton - Has been disenclosed. Former anchors included Schear's Food Center.
* American Mall, Lima - Had a grocery store, most likely Kroger.
* Surrey Square, Norwood - Anchored by Kroger (former Thriftway).
* Worthington Square, Worthington - Open-air mall, formerly enclosed, anchored by (surprise!) Kroger.

Whew. I think I'll stop.
rich
Veteran

Post by rich »

All of the older malls (pre-1970s) and large strips in Cleveland had groceries as anchors:

Great Lakes Mall: Fisher (later demolished & moved to outparcel as Fazio's) & Kroger (demolished for Horne's Dept Store)

Richmond Mall: Kroger (had mall & outside access)
Parmatown: A&P, Fisher Foods (later Fazio), Pick-n-Pay (later Finast) (either the A&P or Pick-n-Pay started as a Foodtown)

Westgate (now demolished): Kroger (later General Cinema), Fisher Foods (later Fazio's), Pick-n-Pay (later Finast)

Great Northern: Fisher Foods (later Fazio's), Pick-n-Pay (later Finast)

Pavillion (a small 70s mall) was anchored by Pick-n-Pay (later Finast)

Eastgate: Kroger (later Catalano's Stop-n-Shop), Fisher Foods (later Fazio's), Pick-n-Pay (later Finast, began as Foodtown)

A Food Fair & Farmer Jack's in Detroit would have been odd; Borman's owned both chains and basically transitioned from Food Fair (conventional format with trading stamps) to Farmer Jack ("discount" format in its original incarnation)

Northland in Columbus started with Alber's (later Big Star) as a tenant
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Re: Grocers in "real" malls - not strip malls

Post by Groceteria »

Cherry Hill in New Jersey apparently sported a Food Fair as of about 1962:

umtrr-author
Contributor

Post by umtrr-author »

Going "north of the border" (if no one minds), the Parry Sound Mall in Parry Sound, Ontario has an A&P as its anchor.

The official website has a photo showing the mall entrance of the A&P.
http://www.parrysoundmall.ca

I was personally there over the summer. For the curious, Parry Sound is about two hours north of Toronto-- follow Highway 400 until it ends, and you're there.

One of the earlier configurations of the Menlo Park Mall in Edison, New Jersey included a Finast. I think it was technically an outparcel located in the southwest area of the property, but I'm not sure any more, as that was several remodels ago. Its location, as near as I can figure it, is now a parking garage.
maynesG
Veteran

Post by maynesG »

Yes the MenloPark Mall did have a Finast thta was attached to the mall but only had and outside entrance. Themall also had a Pathmark on the otherside of the mall entrance from the Finast, that store had a Mall entrance. The Finast never was a Safeway but was a former Pantry Pride.
Finast had two other Mall stores that I know of, TheGardenn State Plazza a former Safeway, that had a Grand Union for a neighbor. Both stores were duds. Sam Goodys took the Finast lease. The other Finast was in the Cross County Shopping Center in Yonkers that back in the days of the Sunday Blue Laws in Conn. made this store one of the highest volume stores in New York State. I read recently that Stop & Shop closed this store and has opened a replacement unit in the same mall.
submariner
Veteran

Post by submariner »

umtrr-author wrote:Going "north of the border" (if no one minds), the Parry Sound Mall in Parry Sound, Ontario has an A&P as its anchor.

The official website has a photo showing the mall entrance of the A&P.
http://www.parrysoundmall.ca

I was personally there over the summer. For the curious, Parry Sound is about two hours north of Toronto-- follow Highway 400 until it ends, and you're there.

One of the earlier configurations of the Menlo Park Mall in Edison, New Jersey included a Finast. I think it was technically an outparcel located in the southwest area of the property, but I'm not sure any more, as that was several remodels ago. Its location, as near as I can figure it, is now a parking garage.

In that case, Oakridge Centre in Vancouver, BC has a Safeway anchoring one corner... I've actually been to that one, it's got a nice lifestyle mark I remodel.
==========
Aaron
"his foxtail-wielding skills are unparalleled, dust bunnies fear his name"
umtrr-author
Contributor

Post by umtrr-author »

maynesG wrote:Yes the MenloPark Mall did have a Finast thta was attached to the mall but only had and outside entrance. Themall also had a Pathmark on the otherside of the mall entrance from the Finast, that store had a Mall entrance. The Finast never was a Safeway but was a former Pantry Pride.
Ah, thank you for that... even as I was recalling the Finast, I was thinking, "and wasn't there a Pathmark at Menlo Park also?" but I was just too unsure of that. The other end of the mall, that would have put it over by the Arcadian Gardens, right? (That was a large garden and nursery store.) And perhaps later the Pathmark became the Bambergers' Clearance Center?
maynesG
Veteran

Post by maynesG »

Hi,Its been a lot of years, but I believe that you may be correct about the location of the Patmark. It!s funny, First National did every thing they could to make that store work. They tried several formats, Super Finast ( First Nationals short lived low price banner) Finast Big Buys( a concept that worked well in New England for a time) and again as Finast. The store layed closed with moderen equiptment at a time when other area Finast that were doing well
in Woodbridge and Elizabeth had old Safeway equiptment.
On more then one occasion my Dad who was a Store Manager was told that he was going to Menlo Park to head up a New Concept store, only to never hear any thing else about it.
Brian Lutz
Veteran

Post by Brian Lutz »

as far as malls with attached grocery stores with no mall entrance, Totem Lake Mall in Kirkland originally had one (Originally Olsen's Market Place, most recently housed a CompUSA and has now been vacant for two years) and Factoria Mall in Bellevue has a Safeway at one end, but without a mall entrance. Both of these also had Pay 'n Save/Payless/Rite Aid stores which had mall entrances (nothing fancy though, basically a side door into the mall.) The Factoria one is still around, the Totem Lake one is also vacant.
The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0 - Seattle Area Malls, Retail History, and other random things.
RobJC
Contributor

Post by RobJC »

At Metro Mall in Middle Village, Queens, a Waldbaums was in a building alongside a Caldor in a shared indoor lobby. It was originally a Bohack and Robert Hall Village. It was a weird building. You parked on the roof and rode the escalator down to the stores with your cart that locked into the grooves of the escalator. It was a long ride down, but the supermarket was quite large and always busy. Years later Waldbaums moved downstairs, level with a newer parking lot in a mall that also had the now defunct Pergament Home Centers and a bunch of little stores including Liberty Travel and Petland Discounts. The Waldbaums and the Pergament are both gone. I think it's a Costco or something.

The newer Waldbaums store was also weird in it's placement of the registers. They installed 25 scanners that were in an "L" shape. You exited the store through the registers right into the mall, so if you were the front end, you were actually standing in the mall running the front. Ultimately, they removed the "L" shape and put in a bottle return area.
drpep
Contributor

Post by drpep »

Arnot Mall in Horseheads, NY had a Great American supermarket.
Nutball Gazette

Post by Nutball Gazette »

There was a Winn Dixie in the Brevard Mall (Melbourne Fl) on Babcock Street. Accross from Publix and melbourne High School. That Mall is reported to be the 1st Indoor mall Edward Debartolo ever built.
jimbobga
Contributor

Post by jimbobga »

Two malls in Brevard County, Florida, had supermarkets "inside" the mall. The Brevard Mall on Babcock Street did indeed have a Winn Dixie that had entrances from both the parking lot and the main mall corridor. The mall opened in the early sixties, but was not an enclosed mall when it opened, and it may still not be enclosed. In addition to Winn-Dixie, other anchors were J. C. Penney and Montgomery Ward, as well as McCrory's and a very small Jordan Marsh "fashion" store.

Searstown Mall in Titusville, an enclosed mall built at the height of the space boom in Brevard County, contained a Sears at one end and a Publix at the other. While situated at the anchor section at the west end of the mall, half of the store was inside the mall, with the other half on the outside. One entered the store from the outside, but one could look out of the windows of the produce and frozen food sections of the store and see inside the mall.

Oglethorpe Mall in Savannah, which opened in 1969, had a Piggly Wiggly [Carolina] store inside the mall, and the entrance was actually inside the mall rather than just being a part of the building. One had to enter the mall and then enter the store. It was, however, on a parking-lot access wing rather than along the main corridor. This store lasted well into the seventies before closing.