Grocers in "real" malls - not strip malls

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region.

Moderator: Groceteria

Brian Lutz
Veteran

Re: Grocers in "real" malls - not strip malls

Post by Brian Lutz »

Interestingly enough, Southcenter Mall in Tukwila WA (which once had a Lucky store during their relatively brief run in the Seattle metro area) now has a grocery store again. A new Seafood City (Filipino grocery) store recently opened up in the space once occupied by the mall's Mervyn's store that had sat vacant for several years after Mervyn's left Washington. At least one other former Mervyn's I know of near here was replaced by an ethnic grocery store, but it's a freestanding store.
The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0 - Seattle Area Malls, Retail History, and other random things.
Dean
Veteran

Re:

Post by Dean »

Dean wrote:In Redlands CA...VONS was a part of the Redlands Mall. When a replacement VONS was built...the VONS became Sav-On...now CVS. I believe remnants of VONS could be seen when it was Sav-On.
San Bernardino Sun newspaper reported that the mall is closing. Not much left in it. Nothing was mentioned about the current CVS. (Former VONS and Sav-On). The entrance faces the parking lot...so possibly it will continue.
Jeffrey55
Contributor

Post by Jeffrey55 »

In Mt. Kisco, New York (Westchester County, north of NYC) there was an enclosed mall built in the 70s -- not huge, but definitely not a strip mall -- that had a Waldbaum's at one end, accessed through the mall. The mall itself was two levels, but in a very odd rectangular formation and no real anchor store except for the supermarket (which was one level). It was never very successful and went through several transformations, eventually being called the Manufacturers' Outlet Center, with the only constant being Waldbaum's. Several years ago the entire thing was demolished and replaced by -- yep, a strip mall, with a Target and A&P Fresh Market (instead of Waldbaum's) in the main building, and the remnants of the old mall's original local tenants in a couple of outbuildings.
Jeffrey55
Contributor

Post by Jeffrey55 »

As an odd follow-up to my last post, I just discovered that in the A&P photo gallery (still in the "old" section of Groceteria) the last photo that is currently posted shows an A&P Fresh Market, apparently during its Grand Opening, with a caption saying it is unidentified. I am virtually certain that is the A&P in Mt. Kisco I mentioned above.
Gary21228
Contributor

Post by Gary21228 »

Harundale Mall in Glen Burnie, MD opened in the late 50s (1958?) with a Food Fair as one of its anchors, along with a Hochschild-Kohn department store. The grocery store was located at one end with the store entrance just inside the mall's doors. Harundale was the Baltimore area's first enclosed mall.

Eventually all of Harundale was torn down except for Hochschild's (which became a now-closed Value City) and replaced with strip and/or free standing buildings including a Super Fresh, also now closed.

Harundale has assumed "dead mall" status, overshadowed by Marley Station Mall (itself dying) about 2 miles down the road.

Glen Burnie Mall was built in the mid-1960s with an A&P anchoring along with Montgomery Ward. Most of this mall has been torn down and replaced with a mixture of strip and big-box.