KMart grocery stores before SuperKMart

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region.

Moderator: Groceteria

Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

Jeff wrote:The large Kmart in Covina on Citrus St looks like it could have had a food market next to it. The design is slightly different, and it was added into the main store at some point in time. Same goes for the Kmart in West Covina off I-10 that now has a JoAnn's Fabrics on one side of the store.
Generally I'd say that if it looks added on, it probably wasn't a Kmart Foods but just a regular supermarket that happened to move in next door. Kmart seemed to pretty much give up on the Kmart Foods idea by about 1973-1974. Although many stores built after that had supermarkets adjacent, they were generally operated by (and under the name of) other chains.
Floyd

Post by Floyd »

It is interesting that Farmers Market took over the Kmart Foods in Sacramento. In 1974, Farmers Market took over Kmart Foods in Stockton,CA at 5757 Pacific Ave. Around 1976 or 1977, New Deal Market replaced Farmers and they stayed around until about 1982 when they were replaced by "Delta Super Market". In 1985, an asian market called "Vina Supermarket" replaced Delta and remained there until 1989, and that space has been vacant since then. Ironically, that Kmart and the surrounding shopping center is scheduled to be demolished next February and replaced by an upscale shopping strip.
greebs
Contributor

Post by greebs »

The Kmart in Covina had a District office next to it. it was added sometime in the early 90's if i'm correct. The Kmart in West Covina started out as a Save Co. in the early 60's then by 1970 was a Cal Store until Kmart moved in sometime in 1977 or 78. It also had a Vendome Liquor which opened on Nov. 9, 1978. It would later become a Liquor Barn by the early 80's before it closed by the late 80's. Not sure when Joann's Fabrics moved in. Also a Regional office was built behind what is now JoAnn's Fabrics in the early 90's.
javelin
Veteran

Post by javelin »

greebs wrote:The Kmart in Covina had a District office next to it. it was added sometime in the early 90's if i'm correct. The Kmart in West Covina started out as a Save Co. in the early 60's then by 1970 was a Cal Store until Kmart moved in sometime in 1977 or 78. It also had a Vendome Liquor which opened on Nov. 9, 1978. It would later become a Liquor Barn by the early 80's before it closed by the late 80's. Not sure when Joann's Fabrics moved in. Also a Regional office was built behind what is now JoAnn's Fabrics in the early 90's.
Would you have any additional information about Save Co? The first shopping center in Victorville, CA had one according to a website I had read once, which became a K Mart, then closed in the early 90's so they could build another store down the street next to the freeway, but off the main road...that too closed about 5 years later. The old K Mart-SaveCo is now split between a DD's discount (low end Ross store) and a Grocery Outlet.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

greebs wrote:The Kmart in Covina had a District office next to it. it was added sometime in the early 90's if i'm correct. The Kmart in West Covina started out as a Save Co. in the early 60's then by 1970 was a Cal Store until Kmart moved in sometime in 1977 or 78. It also had a Vendome Liquor which opened on Nov. 9, 1978. It would later become a Liquor Barn by the early 80's before it closed by the late 80's. Not sure when Joann's Fabrics moved in. Also a Regional office was built behind what is now JoAnn's Fabrics in the early 90's.
JoAnn's was House of Fabrics before. It had to have opened in the 1980's.
RandallFlagg
Contributor

Post by RandallFlagg »

I worked for Kmart 7529 in Rancho Cucamonga from 1982 to 1985. The district office for that store was located next to the Covina store, so I know it was built either during that time or before. I worked with, if my mind still works, Jimmy Ferget [sp] and his father was the west coast vp.
Floyd

Is BAZA'R the same as BAZAAR FOODS?

Post by Floyd »

Wayne Winterland Jr mentions that Bazaar Foods took over from Allied in charge of Kmart Foods. I looked through the Stockton Record Microfilm from 1971 and there was an ad for Kmart Foods here in Stockton California and it mentions that "Kmart Quality Discount Foods is now under BAZA'R MANAGEMENT". Yes it is listed as "BAZA'R" and not "BAZAAR".I am assuming they are one and the same?
tkaye
Veteran

Re: Is BAZA'R the same as BAZAAR FOODS?

Post by tkaye »

Floyd wrote:Wayne Winterland Jr mentions that Bazaar Foods took over from Allied in charge of Kmart Foods. I looked through the Stockton Record Microfilm from 1971 and there was an ad for Kmart Foods here in Stockton California and it mentions that "Kmart Quality Discount Foods is now under BAZA'R MANAGEMENT". Yes it is listed as "BAZA'R" and not "BAZAAR".I am assuming they are one and the same?
Sounds to me like it was Baza'r, which was formerly the Gov-Mart membership club based in Seattle. We've talked about it before on this board.
TheStranger
Veteran

Post by TheStranger »

In our storegeeking trip from yesterday, Charles and I got some photos of the 5100 Stockton Boulevard KMart up - the KMart Foods space there is actually now Big Lots (Aaron's is in another part of the plaza).

http://dtcwrt.earlracing.com/stores/sac.htm
Chris Sampang
wnetmacman
Veteran

Post by wnetmacman »

You might want to check the captions of the store. The item you list as "old speaker" is not a speaker. Those are air vents. Kmart installed them from the 60's to the early 80's. Any Kmart older than 25 years will have them throughout the store. If you walk up to one when the air should be on, you'll hear the massive amout of air coming through. Stores from that time period that were expanded also have them in the expansion area.

In most cases, those vents need no ductwork, as they come straight from the air handler unit to the store.
Scott Greer
Dean
Veteran

City of Industry CA KMart

Post by Dean »

The City of Industry CA KMart had a grocery store next door--left side (facing the store). I don't remember the name...but the logo was a genie or something. From the front facade of the building...you can't tell there was another store. Over the years with remodels...they tied it together well. Yet, when you are in the store...you can see where the wall had been opened to enlarge KMart. The wall now only extends about 1/2 way thru the store.
TheStranger
Veteran

Post by TheStranger »

Scott: I fixed that caption, now that I looked at the photo again...and I actually made it to the OTHER Sacramento old KMart, which also had a Kmart foods.

It's actually in Foothill Farms, and has been closed since 2002; a thrift store occupies the old KMart Foods location. Charles Hathaway says this was one of the first 40 KMarts ever built.

http://dtcwrt.earlracing.com/stores/ff.htm

I'm wondering if that tiling pattern on the front is common to the KMart Foods era stores...
Chris Sampang
Daniel
Veteran

Post by Daniel »

This is way OT, but the Rosies you have pictured was most definately a Skipper's.
tkaye
Veteran

Re: City of Industry CA KMart

Post by tkaye »

Dean wrote:The City of Industry CA KMart had a grocery store next door--left side (facing the store). I don't remember the name...but the logo was a genie or something.
Baza'r had a genie coming out of a lamp as its logo.
Dean
Veteran

Re: City of Industry CA KMart

Post by Dean »

Dean wrote:The City of Industry CA KMart had a grocery store next door--left side (facing the store). I don't remember the name...but the logo was a genie or something. From the front facade of the building...you can't tell there was another store. Over the years with remodels...they tied it together well. Yet, when you are in the store...you can see where the wall had been opened to enlarge KMart. The wall now only extends about 1/2 way thru the store.
After ~40yrs...this KMart is closing. 'ya think the Wal*Mart that is near has anything to do with it?!

Across the street was ZODYS turned HomeClub (then HomeBase), and now it is Superior Market (discussed under another thread).

Chad, you always seem to be able to find the historical information! Out of curiousity, could you please check to see when the store opened? Also, any clue with the history what the grocery store next door was? tkaye mentioned in a reply...possibly Baza'r.

The address is 333 South Hacienda Boulevard, City of Industry CA.

thanks!