York Steak House

Moderator: Groceteria

dth1971
Contributor

York Steak House

Post by dth1971 »

Who remembers the defunct York Steak House restaurant chain owned by General Mills and mostly in shopping malls?
playmeri

Post by playmeri »

I remember one in Ma.
buckhead
Contributor

Re: York Steak House

Post by buckhead »

I don't know exactly when the chain finally went away, but I was familiar with locations in the 70's and 80s, and as stated, they were typically in shopping malls. There were a number in Florida and Georgia that I recall seeing. They were generally tray-service steak houses similar to Bonanza and Ponderosa. Orlando was the home of General Mills Restaurant Group at the time and often experimented with prototypes for their new restaurants. The converted the one free-standing York Steak House to a tray-service seafood place by the name of Hannihans, or something like that. It was short-lived. I'm not sure how extensive of an operation York was, but I think they may have had a fair number of locations throughout the nation. The last one I remember seeing was in Georgia Square Mall in Athens, Georgia, that changed over to Bonanza in the mid-80s.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

There was one at the now-demolished Carolina Circle Mall in Greensboro NC for a year or two (c. 1976-1978). I remember the "feel" of the place was very orange, which was true of the entire mall. And the entire decade, for that matter...
York super chef

York rivergate , goodletsville

Post by York super chef »

Anybody outthere remember the old York Steak House at Rivergate Mall ?
It used to be at Two mile pike , it has been replaced with a an O'Charleys
now , I think it went of business in 1983, I started as busboy and worked up to Master Chef........any replys would be great !