Page 2 of 2
Posted: 14 Jan 2007 22:48
by GaryED44
I remember the Market Basket where we lived so clearly
Near the front door to the right was a small Deli had the best egg salad in the town to the left of the Deli was The produce section being little at the time I remember the Toys were for some reason on the same isle where the groceries ended and the produce began. Meat was near the back door covered nearly the entire back wall. The other thing I remember was the liquor department in the back right corner and it seemed to be a separately owned thing with its own walk in fridge.
Gary
Re: Does anyone remember Market Basket Stores in Southern Calif?
Posted: 09 Jun 2025 15:30
by fognet
I have been trying to find history and pictures of the Market Basket in South Pasadena. Around 1950 or so, I worked there as a box boy. Strange there seems to be nothing about the store. The pay was great for me at that time, $125 an hour to start and tips. If anyone has info or photos I would appreciate it. Email is
free@fognet.net
Re: Does anyone remember Market Basket Stores in Southern Calif?
Posted: 09 Jun 2025 17:14
by Groceteria
fognet wrote: ↑09 Jun 2025 15:30
I have been trying to find history and pictures of the Market Basket in South Pasadena. Around 1950 or so, I worked there as a box boy. Strange there seems to be nothing about the store. The pay was great for me at that time, $125 an hour to start and tips. If anyone has info or photos I would appreciate it. Email is
free@fognet.net
From a quick look at Newspapers.com, the store at 920 Fair Oaks (more recently the site of a Rite-Aid) opened around in 1948 replacing an older store at 1001 Fair Oaks. It seems to have closed in 1973 or 1974.
Grand opening article with illustration attached.
Re: Does anyone remember Market Basket Stores in Southern Calif?
Posted: 12 Jan 2026 07:07
by luckysaver
fognet wrote: ↑09 Jun 2025 15:30
I have been trying to find history and pictures of the Market Basket in South Pasadena. Around 1950 or so, I worked there as a box boy. Strange there seems to be nothing about the store. The pay was great for me at that time, $125 an hour to start and tips. If anyone has info or photos I would appreciate it. Email is
free@fognet.net
You can try to check with the South Pasadena Public Library's special collections librarian to see if they have files on Market Basket from the Kroger era. Also, local historians Rick Thomas and Jane Apostol (both authored several books on the area's history) can also be helpful in tracking down the overall history of South Pasadena supermarkets (the latest transformation was the old Vons on Fair Oaks converted to Trader Joe's after Albertsons extensively remodeled the Pavilions across the street).
luckysaver
Re: Does anyone remember Market Basket Stores in Southern Calif?
Posted: 04 Oct 2026 19:36
by Hughes56781
What's funny about this is the fact that when Market Basket, which was owned by Kroger, went out of business, many of their stores became Hughes Market, and about 16 years later, many of those Hughes Market stores became Ralphs, which at the time had just been bought by Kroger... The circle was complete, they went from one Kroger owned store to another, with a completely independent brand in between...