This is a list of all known chain grocery addresses in Halifax and Dartmouth between 1925 and 2000, compiled from city directories, telephone books, and other sources. It is generated through a live Google Spreadsheet so it reflects the latest information I have.
Access and download the location spreadsheet via Google Sheets.
- Where to begin? Basically every address in Halifax was renumbered between 1960 and 1965. The “new” system is one of the oddest I’ve ever seen anywhere, but fortunately there is documentation that allowed me either to match addresses directly or to offer a reasonable approximation. The approximations are italicized.
- Acadia Stores were associated with the Hopgood family for most (if not all) of their existence. There were stores operated under the Hopgood name as well.
- The Teasdale Stores in Dartmouth were apparently affiliated with the larger Superior Chain Stores in 1935 as they were listed under both names. Superior did not appear in the 1930 or 1940 directories.
- Yes, Sobeys apparently did operate two stores across from each other on Mumford Road for a number of years. One was connected to a mall while the other was part of a separate centre across the street. The same arrangement currently exists in Dieppe NB, though one of those stores was originally a Dominion.
- I am missing definitive data for Capitol Stores, 1940. I was able to extrapolate stores that stayed open throughout the period but the others are marked with question marks.
- Acadia Stores/Hopgood’s
- Atlantic Superstore/Save-Easy
- Capitol Stores
- Community Stores
- International Provision Co.
GeorgeJune 18, 2019 at 8:35pm
Great work on putting the history together. Out of curiosity, do you know what happened to Capitol? Was it purchased by Loblaws or another player?
GroceteriaJune 19, 2019 at 7:42am
Sadly, I do not know.
George HopgoodAugust 26, 2020 at 7:56am
Looking for historical information about Hopgood family stores. Hope you can provide guidance.
GroceteriaAugust 26, 2020 at 7:09pm
Pretty much what you see here is all the information I have.
RogerMarch 18, 2023 at 10:18am
The chart shows a capital store at 610 Portland st. Do you when that store opened and when it closed?
GroceteriaMarch 18, 2023 at 5:14pm
What you see on the list is all I have, so I can pretty much only say that it was listed in the city directory as being open in 1985.