2 Supermarkets In One Shopping Center

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region.

Moderator: Groceteria

Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

I've moved the discussion of multiple stores of the same chain very close to each other (but not necessarily in the same center) into a separate topic, since that's a radically different issue than the one in the current topic:

http://www.groceteria.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=1169
dominion301
Contributor

Post by dominion301 »

Here in Ottawa, Billings Bridge Plaza had 2 grocery stores in the mall: a Loblaws and a Steinberg. Loblaws bought all Steinberg stores in Ottawa in the early-90s. Loblaws then converted the Steinberg's to their Your Independent Grocer (YIG) banner, before closing the store in the late 1990s deciding they no longer wanted to compete with themselves. The Loblaws, which is now over 50 years old, still operates in the same spot.

On the Quebec side of the Ottawa river, there is a mall with a Metro and a Costco. Does that count?

When I was in the Toronto suburb of Brampton last fall, I'm almost certain I remember seeing an A&P and a Price Chopper in the same indoor shopping centre.

I'm pretty sure there's still at least one mall in Montreal, in Dorval, with 2 grocery stores.
dominion301
Contributor

Post by dominion301 »

I was at a mall in Toronto a few weeks ago housing both a Dominion (Store #804) and a Price Chopper.
justin karimzad
Veteran

Post by justin karimzad »

In Burlingame, CA a Lee Bros. and a Purity both operated in Burlingame Plaza, at 1825 El Camino Real and 1871 El Camino Real, respectively. I think both dated from the 1950s. The Lee Bros. became a Petrini's, and is now Lunardi's. The Purity was razed in the 1970s to build the Longs Drugs which is still there.
Dave
Veteran

Post by Dave »

In Richmond, VA, The Village Shopping Center at Three Chopt Road and Patterson Avenue had an A&P and a Colonial (presently, the center has a Ukrop's that was built on the site of the old A&P - the Colonial site is a Blockbuster).

The Richmond Shopping Center on West Cary Street had a Colonial that was either razed and rebuilt as, or heavily remodeled into, a Ukrop's. Across the street is what at one time was another part of the shopping center (I don't know if it still is as it really is a separate center for all practical purposes) that had Richmond's first centennial A&P, which is now a natural food market (Ellwood Thompson's).

The Willow Lawn Shopping Center had a Giant Food (MD) and a Safeway, which is interesting since the center was developed at least partly by Giant. The Giant is now a Staples, the Safeway was torn down to expand the center, and the center now has a Kroger (ex-Hannaford) that was built on the site of the former JC Penney store at the center.
krogerclerk
Veteran

Post by krogerclerk »

Dalton, Ga.'s first large shopping center, Bry-Man's Plaza had both Colonial and Winn-Dixie on opposite ends of the center. Colonial became Big Star briefly in the early 1970's, and relocated in the mid-70's next to a nearby Kmart, only to close in 1981 when Grand Union downsized the chain. Winn-Dixie relocated to Bry-Man's Plaza South which was constructed in 1979 until relocating into a Winn-Dixie MarketPlace in 1994, Office Depot now occupies this site. The original Winn-Dixie has been subdivided and Jewel T was a short lived occupant in the early 80's, and is now a Tuesday Morning. The Colonial space was shortly a Western Auto and since subdivided. The construction date of the original Bry-Man's Plaza was late-50's-early-60's, with me leaning to 1961 or 62.
jimbobga
Contributor

Post by jimbobga »

Colonial Plaza in Orlando, Florida, contained a "winged-waterfall" Publix Market near the east end of the center, with a A&P, complete with pylon, at the west end. The A&P closed first, sometime in the late sixties, with Publix lasting much longer. I believe it closed when, in a desperate attempt to revive the Jordan Marsh-based mall, an Ivey's was built in the parking lot in front of where the Publix was located. I believe the entire center was razed following Federated's buyout of Jordan Marsh and Ivey's selling out to Maison Blanche.
MikeRa
Veteran

Re: 2 Supermarkets In One Shopping Center

Post by MikeRa »

Here in PA, in the now-gone Levittown Shopping Center, used to have two supermarkets in the same center, a Food Fair, and a Penn Fruit. The Food Fair closed in the mid 1970's, the Penn Fruit became a Thriftway in the late 1970's, after Food Fair/Penn Fruit/Pantry Pride left the Philadelphia area. This store was demolished when the entire Levittown Shopping Center was demolished in the late 1990's-early 2000's.
TenPoundHammer
Veteran

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Another one from Saginaw, surprised I didn't list it already:

Fort Saginaw Mall, which has been abandoned for about 15 years now, opened with a Kmart/Kmart Foods at the south end and Federal Department Store at the east end. Behind Federals was a Giantway. So there you go: Two grocers in the same center.
tesg
Veteran

Post by tesg »

I was surprised to discover that the Tanasbourne Safeway (185th St, Hillsboro, OR) now has Trader Joe's connected at the hip.

There might be a small business or two in between them, but not much.
romleys
Veteran

Post by romleys »

What about the Fremont (California) Hub Shopping Center?
There was a Frys Market and a Safeway.
Charles H:)
umtrr-author
Contributor

Post by umtrr-author »

During the 1990's there was both a Wegmans and a Bells in the Irondequoit Plaza, in the town of the same name near Rochester NY.

Wegmans rebuilt its store into one of its newer designs and the Bells closed shortly afterwards.
marshd1000
Veteran

Post by marshd1000 »

The only shopping center in the Seattle area to have 2 supermarkets, to my knowledge, is Lakewood Town Center. This center, in Lakewood, WA outside of Tacoma had a Thriftway and a Safeway. The Thriftway later became Thriftco, then Villa Fine Food, then Larry's Market. Now it is Saar's Marketplace. The Safeway has changed locations within the shopping center. Originally Lakewood Town Center was known as Villa Plaza, then Lakewood Mall before being "de-malled" and becoming Lakewood Town Center.
wrallen99
Contributor

Post by wrallen99 »

romleys wrote:What about the Fremont (California) Hub Shopping Center?
There was a Frys Market and a Safeway.
Which part of the shopping center had the Fry's Market?
kris-alyx
Contributor

Post by kris-alyx »

oh if anyone who wants to know where that walmart & kroger are it's on route 1 north about 2 - 3 miles from virgina centre commons mall in ashland va.