Extinct Supermarket Merchandise

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region.

Moderator: Groceteria

tesg
Veteran

Re: Extinct Supermarket Merchandise

Post by tesg »

Speaking of dog foods, what about Blue Mountain? They had a "Chicken, Liver & Egg" dinner that was literally divided into three distinct parts when you took it out of the can, just like Neapolitan ice cream. There was a dark meat part, a lighter meat part, and a bright yellow egg part.

It was gross, yet fascinating.
rich
Veteran

Post by rich »

Speaking of Puss @ Boots Cat Food, How about these other former Quaker Oats brands,
Ken!L Ration canned Dog Food in 12 flavors, The top seller Ken1l Ration
Blue Label ( Known In The Trade as Mystery Meat)
Ken!L Biskit ( The original Dry Dog Food)
Tender Chunks Dry and Canned Dog Food
Kenl Burger
And such competitors as Cadilac Dog and Cat Foods
Fido Dog Food
Don!T Forget The Ken!l Ration Jingle on Tv My dog is better then your
Dog, My dog is better then yours... He eats Ken! Ration made with real
Meat and lots of verry good things, My dog is better than yours!

It's interesting how Quaker let this brand go. It was #1 and then they seemed to loose interest. For years, they didn't seem to advertise Ken-L-Ration or Puss-n-Boots and then they turned around and bought Gaines (famous for "Gaines Burgers") from General Foods in the mid-80s. Later, they sold the entire operation. A friend who worked for Quaker was puzzled by the Gaines acquisition. By that time, pet foods was a cash cow and people were assigned to those products as a way of saying that were no longer on the "fast track" and needed to find other employment. That happened to a friend of our's who had been on the fast track, but suddenly had had to deal with many problems not of their own making (e.g., ill family members).
javelin
Veteran

Post by javelin »

That reminds me, whatever happened to Chuck Wagon? That commercial with the little horses pulling the wagon being chased by a full size dog in the kitchen is a classic!

And a product whose commercials appealed more to children than to adults, Hamm's beer.
maynesG
Veteran

Post by maynesG »

In answer to Rich!s question as to why Quaker Oats got out of the Pet Food businessi do know. I was a Account Manager with them at the time and much like his friend i to was assinged to the pet division and went out the door when they got ut of that business.
Simply put Quaker, After the after Glow of The Stokley Merger and the fantastic rise of Gatorade went out and purchased the old General Foods Pet Food Division known as AndersomnClayton with out doing their home work. Stokley had a young growing product in
Gatorade, that just neede Quakers money and Marketingm power to grow.
Anderson Claytons product line Gravy Train ,Seven Seas Salad dressings and other products
were dying older products proped up with extremly heavy Trade Deals( about 40% more then
the industry average to by market share while selling the company.
Quaker reduced The trade deals tried to infuse two seperate pet food lines and two seperate
Sales Forces. They then tried to ad Rice A Roni to the mess from a third company and alienated the trade. Shares eroded and expenses went up
jamcool
Veteran

Post by jamcool »

Hamm's was bought out by Olympia, who itself was bought by Pabst. Pabst then sold the brand along with several breweries to Miller, who now sells Hamm's in only a handful of cities.
Toby Radloff
Contributor

Post by Toby Radloff »

Another long-lost brand of popcorn was "TV Time" Popcorn, which came in a pre-measured pouch, with one side containing the popcorn and the other side, a butter flavored shortening/salt mixture. You emptied both sides of the pouch in a saucepan or popcorn popper. A similar, but short-lived brand, was "Merry Poppin' " popcorn.
Toby Radloff
Contributor

Post by Toby Radloff »

maynesG wrote:In answer to Rich!s question as to why Quaker Oats got out of the Pet Food businessi do know. I was a Account Manager with them at the time and much like his friend i to was assinged to the pet division and went out the door when they got ut of that business.
Simply put Quaker, After the after Glow of The Stokley Merger and the fantastic rise of Gatorade went out and purchased the old General Foods Pet Food Division known as AndersomnClayton with out doing their home work. Stokley had a young growing product in
Gatorade, that just neede Quakers money and Marketingm power to grow.
Anderson Claytons product line Gravy Train ,Seven Seas Salad dressings and other products
were dying older products proped up with extremly heavy Trade Deals( about 40% more then
the industry average to by market share while selling the company.
Quaker reduced The trade deals tried to infuse two seperate pet food lines and two seperate
Sales Forces. They then tried to ad Rice A Roni to the mess from a third company and alienated the trade. Shares eroded and expenses went up
Could that be a reason why Quaker Oats was later sold to Pepsi?
maynesG
Veteran

Post by maynesG »

Why did Quaker sell to pepsi is a verry complicated question. Best put this way, Gatorade became the largest single portion of Quaker Oats business, doing more then the entire Cereal division. Pepsi and coke tried their hands in the sports drink business but simply failed.
A biding war started and when the stock went bonkers, the board of directors had little choice but accept Pepsi!s offer.
enginecapt
Contributor

Post by enginecapt »

Stouffer's Noodles Romanoff and Welsh Rarebit.

Those cookies from Mother's that were rectangular in shape, dark brown in color, and had raisins in them and a molasses/brown sugar taste. I believe they had white icing on them. Can't remember the name.

Dr. Ross Dog Food. The ad jingle: Dr. Ross Dog Food is doggone good... woof!

Log Cabin Syrup in the tin log cabin. That goes back a ways.

Although not a brand, Market Basket used to sell fresh scrapple back in the sixties. Try finding that in So Cal now. I love scrapple.
Help with Everyday Low Prices
jamcool
Veteran

Post by jamcool »

Remember Burry's cookies? They seemed to be a major brand in the 60s and 70s (Scooter Pies, Gauchos, etc) when they were owned by Quaker. Then for some reason Quaker sold Burry to a French company that didn't know how to market and the Burry brand disappeared from the shelves - yet some of the cookie varieties ended up with Mother's.
maynesG
Veteran

Post by maynesG »

yes, I ws with Quaker oats when they owned Burry!s Cookies. it was felt at the time that they did not fit in with Quakers other businesses which were not store doored like the cookie business. Q!uaker sold this business to a French company that became a partner with Quaker in the cereal business in Europe.
Quaker also sold Lens Crafters, and The Magic Pan Chain about this time because they did not fit in with their core business. Cereal , grain and Pet Foods
Toby Radloff
Contributor

Post by Toby Radloff »

maynesG wrote:Speaking of Puss @ Boots Cat Food, How about these other former Quaker Oats brands,
Ken!L Ration canned Dog Food in 12 flavors, The top seller Ken1l Ration
Blue Label ( Known In The Trade as Mystery Meat)
Ken!L Biskit ( The original Dry Dog Food)
Tender Chunks Dry and Canned Dog Food
Kenl Burger
And such competitors as Cadilac Dog and Cat Foods
Fido Dog Food
Don!T Forget The Ken!l Ration Jingle on Tv My dog is better then your
Dog, My dog is better then yours... He eats Ken! Ration made with real
Meat and lots of verry good things, My dog is better than yours!
I think H. J. Heinz owns Ken-L Ration now. Heinz also owns the 9-Lives cat food brand.
Toby Radloff
Contributor

Post by Toby Radloff »

javelin wrote:
And a product whose commercials appealed more to children than to adults, Hamm's beer.

Hamm's Beer commercials, from the late 1950's up until the early 1980's, featured an animated bear rolling on a log: "From the land of clear blue water...Hamm's, the beer refreshing!"

Because cartoon characters were used in these commercials, I can see the criticism. But then again, Mr. Magoo once advertised Carling's "Stag" beer, and the Flintstones appeared in a little-seen promotional film for Busch beer-that film shows up once in a while on bootleg TV commercial DVD and video compilations, and also shows up on YouTube once in a while. The Flintstones Busch promotional film, from 1966 or 1967, was released only to Anheuser-Busch's distributors, and was rarely shown to the public. The Flintstones also advertised Winston cigarettes-25 years before Joe Camel's controversial Camel ads and billboards first appeared. (Cigarette commercials were banned from US TV and radio in 1971.)
kris-alyx
Contributor

Post by kris-alyx »

here in virginia dollar tree also has shasta drinks as well
enginecapt
Contributor

Post by enginecapt »

Toby Radloff wrote:"From the land of clear blue water...Hamm's, the beer refreshing!"
Wasn't it sky blue waters?
Help with Everyday Low Prices