I happen to be your resident expert on all that is Tempo-Buckeye, having worked for the chain as a high school stuedent. There is a Yahoo Group called "Remembering Retail" where I posted a ton of things bearing the Tempo-Buckeye logo including product packages and ad slicks. You can browse the group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/remembering_retail/
but you have to join to see the Tempo-Buckeye pictures.
Gamble-Skogmo expanded into mass merchandising by forming its Tempo Stores division in 1962, which grew into a chain of 50 discount stores. In 1964 Gamble-Skogmo entered the catalog merchandising field by acquiring the large Aldens operation, including its life insurance subsidiary. In 1966 Founder's, Inc. was merged into the corporation, bringing it a women's wear chain (Mode O'Day), and a group of hardware and variety stores called Cussins & Fearn (in Ohio), Rasco stores (in California) and a discount store chain called Buckeye Mart. In 1967 Gamble-Skogmo acquired the 400-store Red Owl supermarket chain, which also included 62 Snyder's drug stores.
Buckeye Mart was an outgrowth of Cussins & Fearn, which were closed. It was merged with the Tempo division to form Tempo-Buckeye Stores. The Tempo-Buckeye Division had stores as far west as Cheyenne, Wyoming and Santa Fe, New Mexico. The Rasco variety store division also attempted to expand into discount retailing by branding 3 larger outlets in the Sacramento area as Rasco-Tempo stores. I recently found a Rasco-Tempo store in Hobbs, NM. The Rasco division also operated "Toy World" toy stores, which were smaller format toy stores, in California.
In the mid-1970's, the 5 Columbus-area Buckeye Mart stores were closed. In the late-1970's Gambles sold its Buckeye Mart and Tempo stores in smaller Ohio and Michigan cities to Fisher's Big Wheel, which renamed the stores "Fishers Buckeye Tempo". The remaining Tempo stores were transferred to the Rasco division. In 1979, Rasco reopened 2 shuttered Tempo-Buckeye stores in Columbus, Ohio and Cheyenne, Wyoming as "Sarco Outlet Stores" (Sarco is an inversion of the letters "R" and "S" in Rasco). Their mission was primarily to liquidate stale merchandise that had piled up in the distribution center serving the Michigan and Ohio stores. Gamble-Skogmo also owned another discount store chain in the south called "Howard's Brandiscount".
Gamble-Skogmo was purchased by Wickes Companies, Inc. in 1980. The Sarco stores closed in 1981. Wickes filed for bankruptcy shortly afterwards and shuttered most of the remaining Gamble-Skogmo discount store operations.
1. The above vignette is mostly correct, but I have some additional information I found interesting. I subsequently learned that Founders, Inc. and Gamble-Skogmo, Inc. were affiliated companies. Founders, Inc. owned a big chunk of common stock in Gamble-Skogmo. I read in a 1962 Newspaper article that B. C. Gamble was to attend a Buckeye Mart grand opening ... even though Founder's was not yet a part of Gambles.
2. I was looking through the 1962 grand opening advertising for Buckeye Mart and noticed that they did not sell Coronado or any of the other Gambles brands, even though they were affiliated companies.
3. Western Auto was a Gamble's affiliated company.
4. Clark's-Gamble, Inc., operating under both the "Clark's Discount Department Store" and "Cook's Discount Department Store" names, was another affiliated company. M. N. Landau Stores, Inc. owned 51% of the chain and Gamble's owned the remaining 49%. In 1968, M. N. Landau Stores, Inc. was purchased by Cook United, Inc., the Cleveland operator of Cook's, Clark's, Uncle Bill's, Ontario and Consolidated Sales Co. stores. According to a court case I read, all Cook United Stores were operated under the M. N. Landau Stores, Inc. umbrella.http://www.leagle.com/decision/19721326486SW2d840_11200According to evidence submitted by the appellants, Clark's-Gamble, Inc. is the corporate entity which operates Cook's Discount Department Store in Lubbock, Texas. Fifty-one per cent of the stock of Clark's-Gamble, Inc. is owned by M. N. Landau Stores, Incorporated, an Ohio corporation, a wholly owned subsidiary of Cook United, Inc., which is a publicly held corporation. The discount division of Cook United, Inc. does business under the name of "Cook's" and other names in different parts of the country. All of the discount stores which are partly or wholly owned by Cook United, Inc. are operated by M. N. Landau Stores, Incorporated, which in turn owns numerous other subsidiaries. Thus, Cook's Discount Department Store is the assumed name under which Clark's-Gamble, Inc., operates the discount store involved in the instant case.