Orinda Lucky's

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

justin karimzad
Veteran

Orinda Lucky's

Post by justin karimzad »

Continuing from a previous thread, where was the original Lucky in Orinda, CA and what became of it? All I know of it is from reading a 1954 newspaper article stating that it would open soon at such and such address that I don't remember. Also, when did the replacement Lucky at 27 Orinda Way (that would later become Payless Drug, and is currently Rite Aid) open? Was it a store that Lucky built from the ground up, or was it something before Lucky? Thanks.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Re: Orinda Lucky's

Post by Groceteria »

justin karimzad wrote:Continuing from a previous thread, where was the original Lucky in Orinda, CA and what became of it? All I know of it is from reading a 1954 newspaper article stating that it would open soon at such and such address that I don't remember. Also, when did the replacement Lucky at 27 Orinda Way (that would later become Payless Drug, and is currently Rite Aid) open? Was it a store that Lucky built from the ground up, or was it something before Lucky? Thanks.
I wouldn't bet the rent on it, but the current Longs Drugs in downtown Orinda might be a reasonable guess, if I recall that store correctly. It's been a couple of years, though.
J-Man
Veteran

Lucky-Orinda

Post by J-Man »

The original Lucky was on Camino Pablo, just north of where it begins and splits off from Moraga Way (which was called Moraga Highway back in the day.) To clarify further, it was in the triangular parcel bordered by Camino Pablo, Moraga Highway, and Brookwood Road, on the downhill side. When Lucky moved to Orinda Village (on Orinda Way, in the shopping center with the Orinda Post Office), the original store was taken over by Black's, a local grocer that used to occupy a smaller store across Moraga Highway (i.e., on the right side of the street just after the Camino Pablo/Moraga Higway fork.) I remember that Black's was one of the few stores to offer charge accounts. Black's developed into more of an upscale grocer, but eventually closed. I know that the building was later occupied by Liquor Barn, but after that, I have no idea, not having lived in the area since the mid-70s.

I do believe that the "new" Lucky became a PayLess, then Rite-Aid. I don't know about a Longs in the crossroads area-- the only drug store that was there in my day was Guy's, on the corner of Moraga Highway and Brookwood (up the street from Loard's Ice Cream.)