Mountain View: Safeway with old circle S sign?

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

TheStranger
Veteran

Mountain View: Safeway with old circle S sign?

Post by TheStranger »

It's been years since I passed by this one, but I distinctly remember a Safeway a mile or two off of US 101 in the Mountain View area, in a shopping center, with the classic circle logo...anyone know which location I am thinking of?
justin karimzad
Veteran

Post by justin karimzad »

This could have been any of three. There was one from 1959 at approximately 1919 W El Camino Real and Clark ave. that opened in 1959, and closed at some point, and at least part of the space is now a pet store. The space has been drastically remodeled. There was also one from 1966 at about 141 E El Camino Real and Grant Rd. (in the same shopping center as Walgreen's) that later became a Liquor Barn, and has since been split up so that half of the space is a Smart & Final and the other half is a True Value hardware. You can still see the original pitched ceiling in both spaces. The final of the three is at 570 Shoreline blvd, which also opened in 1966. However, this underwent a major expansion and renovation in the late 1990s, so any circle S sign that was there is gone.
TheStranger
Veteran

Post by TheStranger »

I want to say it might be the latter store, but I can't say for certain...I DO remember the circle S being present there as of the mid-late 90s (1997, 1998). I might drive by the area and search for it at some point, though with time the likelihood it's still there is diminishing...

I do remember the circle S was located above "SAFEWAY" on the storefront sign.
justin karimzad
Veteran

Post by justin karimzad »

Here's an article from 7/21/1997 that briefly states that the Safeway on North Shoreline Blvd was expanding at the time. Scroll down to the subheading of Bailey Park Center. Per the same article, it looks like Safeway was (as of 1997) no longer an anchor of the Walgreen's shopping center I mentioned.

http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:X1T ... =clnk&cd=2
TheStranger
Veteran

Post by TheStranger »

justin karimzad wrote:Here's an article from 7/21/1997 that briefly states that the Safeway on North Shoreline Blvd was expanding at the time. Scroll down to the subheading of Bailey Park Center. Per the same article, it looks like Safeway was (as of 1997) no longer an anchor of the Walgreen's shopping center I mentioned.

http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:X1T ... =clnk&cd=2
I'm more inclined now to think that this is the store, since when I passed it by those years ago, I do remember it was being remodeled.