Albertsons, 140 W 40th St, San Bernardino

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

Jeff
Veteran

Re: Albertsons, 140 W 40th St, San Bernardino

Post by Jeff »

I'll be up there on Saturday, I think bbq'ing Carne Asada is in my plans!
I hope its in my friends too....
luckysaver
Veteran

Post by luckysaver »

Cardenas #24 at 140 40th in San Bernardino is now open as the chain is celebrating their grand opening this month.

Earlier today, I visited the Pomona (Garey/Philadelphia) store (#6) in the former Costco building. The whole building is split into 3 tenants, with Cardenas taking the middle one-third portion. Inside, it is spacious, the square footage similar to the smaller 1970's era Stater Bros stores. Prices and merchandise are similar to Bestway/Gardena Markets.

An earlier post mentioned that this Costco closed in 1997 and moved down the street to Chino Hills next to Lowes (former Eagle Hardware and Garden).

luckysaver
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Yes, San Bernardino site is open...and as mentioned, quite nice.

Still can't believe tho with all they did inside...that the label scars are so evident on the front of the building!

I believe the customer service counter is what had been there before. Also, the "tiered" refrigerated salsa display. ALL else in the store seems new.

Is it pronounced Car-deenas or Car-danas? I assume the later, as the e in Spanish would have an "ay" sound. Have heard it pronounced both ways.

Also, the gentleman in Los Angeles fighting for the elephants at the LA Zoo...did I hear correctly that he is the owner of the chain?!
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

As mentioned, the labelscars are quite evident. They painted the front, top stucco yellow...yet, again, very clear.

Just noticed, that they did not paint the SIDE of the building. They did not whip the yellow around! Hence EXTREMELY clear label scars.

VERY nice, immaculate store.

Got a chicken burrito @ the "deli/service" area. Made to order. REMARKABLE !!

Check out the HUGE vats of corn that they utilize to make the cornmeal for tortillas! Quite a riot!