Albertsons/Kmart combo, Huntington Beach

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

runchadrun
Veteran

Albertsons/Kmart combo, Huntington Beach

Post by runchadrun »

An October 1971 Albertsons ad announced the opening of a store "in Kmart" at 19131 Magnolia in Huntington Beach. This is the only example of an Albertsons/Kmart combo in Socal that I could find. Bazar had just taken over Kmart Foods in April so it seems odd that an Albertsons would open instead of a new Bazar.

This was an Albertsons until 1976 and in 1978 it became a Vendome Liquors. The Kmart has since closed.
klkla
Veteran

Re: Albertsons/Kmart combo, Huntington Beach

Post by klkla »

I remember a KMart/Albertson's in Newberry Park (in Ventura County) as well. I think there was always a divider between them and that Albertson's took over the food operation from KMart or an associated company.
J-Mac
Veteran

Post by J-Mac »

Maps.live.com has a west image showing the BigK sign with a Savers (the thrift store operation.) Makes for interesting cotenants.
wolvie
Contributor

Post by wolvie »

The K-Mart in Escondido (now closed and torn down) had a Big Bear supermarket attached to it, although I never knew if it was an actual K-Mart grocery before Big Bear. The Big Bear was older even in the early 1980s when I remembered it. And it was small, separated by a divider.