Safeway/Vons same prototype...?

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

steps
Veteran

Safeway/Vons same prototype...?

Post by steps »

i was looking at pics of vons and safeway interiors back in the 1990's...and they have similar designs...now i dont know if they remodeled vons/safeway stores to all look the same after safeway took over the vons stores...or did vons keep the designs after they bought the safeway stores...??

any help is much appreciated!
Pavilions, the new, the unusal, the BEST of everything!
steps
Veteran

Post by steps »

someone has to know something!! lol
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

steps wrote:someone has to know something!! .
Could you be a little more specific about the design elements you mean? The Vons prototype of the 1990s was the one with the red stripe and the script departmental signage:

Safeway in the 1990s started doing the yellow walls with all the pastels and arches over each dapartment:

From about 2000-2003, Safeway was doing an even newer prototype in NorCal Safeway stores:

At the same time, they were retrofitting older Vons stores with the older yellow/pastel/arch interior pictured above. They redid so many with this "expired" look that it almost seemed like they were trying to get rid of old building materials or something. Eventually, they started using the newer look on Vons stores too.
steps
Veteran

Post by steps »

lol...the 2nd pic is what i was refering to! becuz i see some of the safeway stores up north have the same designs as the vons stores in so cal....was jus curious if this happened after the merger
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

steps wrote:....the 2nd pic is what i was refering to! becuz i see some of the safeway stores up north have the same designs as the vons stores in so cal....was jus curious if this happened after the merger
Yeah. That was a Safeway design dating from 1993-1994. Like I said, the Vons stores mostly got it as a retrofit after Safeway had pretty much stopped using it on new Safeway stores...

It's my least favorite of Safeway's interior prototypes, I think. Of course, it's also the most common...
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

But a lot better than the white and red scheme.

I have seen a few Vons stores with the new interior seen in the 3rd pic.
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

The Vons in Studio City is a former Ralphs, which Vons bought after the Hughes merger. After 6-8 months it was remodeled to look like picture number 2 above. Within the last 2 years it was remodeled again to look like picture number 3.

Besides that store, 4 other Vons that I've been to are in the number 3 style: Granada Hills (my regular store), Northridge (Reseda & Nordhoff, former Pantry?), Stevenson Ranch, and Chatsworth (Mason and Devonshire, former Ralphs or Hughes).

The Granada Hills store was built in 1996 and was remodeled last spring. It replaced a smaller store (now a Ross) in the same center. When the new store opened the sign in front said "Serving Granada Hills since 1996" but it changed to "1960" when they remodled. According to a long-time checker, they had been lobbying for it to be corrected since the new store opened.

The Mission Hills Vons (Devonshire and Sepulveda, former Market Basket?) is still in the old red-and-white scheme. There's no service bakery, which I always forget when I end up hopping off the 405 early to pick up stuff for dinner. The whole center is dated with a lot of wasted space and it wouldn't surprise me if there were plans to replace the store.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

Vons in Montebello is style #1.

Vons in Alhambra, which I havent been to in years, was none of the above. It was a former Crawfords Corner market that I have to assume they have remodeled. Its a very large market by comparison to others.
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

The Crawford's Corner Vons was the one I shopped at as a kid. (I lived just down the street on New just south of Norwood.) As I understand it, it was originally a Crawford's Department Store.

It was a Market Basket before it was a Vons and I remember when they did a huge remodel in the mid-80s and put in a tortilleria (at the time the Asian population wasn't as big as it became in a few years). I seem to remember that they had a bank, also, well before banks inside grocery stores became commonplace in LA.

I haven't been there in years, either, so I couldn't say what it's like today. I'll be in the neighborhood in a couple of weeks so maybe I'll check it out.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

I live near there and dont go to that Vons at all.
danielh_512
Veteran

Post by danielh_512 »

Safeway here in its Mid-Atlantic stores are mainly with 90's interiors. I can find a few old 80's interiors around, some got remodeled into the 2000's interior as shown, and a few now are lifestyle stores.

Since we have a lot of Westerners here, figured I'd provide some insight on what seems like Safeway's forgotten stores at times.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

The Hesperia CA store sports the decor of #2. I'd say this was done ~7yrs ago.

Prior to that...it still had the Safeway interior. (This had been a Safeway location).

When the "remodel" was done, I referred to it more as a "face-lift". It STILL has the former Safeway faux brick flooring in the liquor area, and some funky orange tiling in others.

The deli area was obviously added later...and is an "island".

Wondering how/why they keep this store open...as it is in need of A LOT of work!
Dean
Veteran

Re: Safeway/Vons same prototype...?

Post by Dean »

This guy is trippin' over the similarities between VONS & SAFEWAY!

Safeway?! No, Vons!
he know that it was not a Safeway, but a Vons!!!!!!!...gcd long beach 2007 vons safeway ads richard One day, Richard went to the local Safeway in Long Beach in hopes of buying some food. But little did he know that it was not a Safeway, but a Vons!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvIAHpD7vAE

Looks like a Marina store.
submariner
Veteran

Post by submariner »

Dean wrote:This guy is trippin' over the similarities between VONS & SAFEWAY!

Safeway?! No, Vons!
he know that it was not a Safeway, but a Vons!!!!!!!...gcd long beach 2007 vons safeway ads richard One day, Richard went to the local Safeway in Long Beach in hopes of buying some food. But little did he know that it was not a Safeway, but a Vons!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvIAHpD7vAE

Looks like a Marina store.
Yes. and the kid sounds incredibly drunk or stoned... or both!
==========
Aaron
"his foxtail-wielding skills are unparalleled, dust bunnies fear his name"
klkla
Veteran

Post by klkla »

Wow, some really negative responses in this thread. Really unusual for this message board.

Back to the first post...

The first photo showing the Red & Black printing on white paint was the Vons prototype interior at the time Safeway took Vons over (or more accurately bought the 65% of shares they didn't already own).

Remodels and new builds done by Vons immediately after kept this basic look but a couple of years later Vons remodels and new builds ran concurrently with the prototypes Safeway used in their own 'Safeway' branded stores (the look of the second photo).

There seems to be some confusion that the Vons stores got the look of the second photos after Safeway but that is not competely true, it was just that they were at the tail end of that prototype and thereby didn't remodel nearly as many stores that way.

By the time the prototype in the third photo came along Safeway was introducing their new look in all their remodels and new stores at the same time (I've even seen a Randall's in Austin, Texas with that format).

Of course the same is true with the lifestyle format which is being introduced in all divisions concurrently.

I guess my point is that Vons did not get the look from the second photo as left overs. Any Safeways being remodeled at the exact same time would have had the same exact interior give or take six months or so.