Mystery ex-grocery store in La Puente

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

luckysaver
Veteran

Mystery ex-grocery store in La Puente

Post by luckysaver »

Everytime I drive on Amar Road (block 15870) between Echelon and Del Valle (on the City of Industry section), there is this store that is mysterious. I believe it was a grocery store from ages ago - sits between a handball club and the Industry Hills Business Park. Recently it was a Super 98 Dollar store and it is currently closed - possible demolition. The cross street is Greycliff.

Loopnet had this:
Apple Market Center
15870 E. Amar Rd
City Of Industry, California 91744 (33000 sq ft, built in 1960)

I found a phone number - (626) 336-1262

There was also a branch of Amar Ranch Market, 15702 Amar. This is at the corner with Aileron.

Enjoy these pictures, courtesy of LAWasteCollection.com, which also has some demolition photos of selected Longs Drugs, Ralphs/Food4Less, and the Industry KMart (333 Hacienda).

luckysaver
Attachments
IMG_6012.jpg
IMG_6010.jpg
IMG_6007.jpg
runchadrun
Veteran

Re: Mystery ex-grocery store in La Puente

Post by runchadrun »

A 1961 LA Times ad for refers to it as Schaubs Market. It had a Dexter Elliot home appliances department selling Maytag appliances and Curtis Mathes TVs. In 1973 it was a Greatway Food Store, a chain of 10 stores mostly in Whittier and the SGV.
melrose1960
Contributor

Re: Mystery ex-grocery store in La Puente

Post by melrose1960 »

Since I grew up in La Puente, I can list a couple of names from the 70's and 80's...

My earliest memory of this "mystery" store is the "HOT" sign in your pictures.
This is referring to the HOT bakery inside "Buy-Fair". Sometime in the early 70's,
"Buy-Fair" evolved into a "Smith's Food King." This location has endured many
many nameplates through the years, yet "Buy-Fair" stands out for me.

Melrose1960