Safeway-San Jose

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

storewanderer
Veteran

Safeway-San Jose

Post by storewanderer »

I recall previous discussion on this board about a Safeway somewhere in San Jose with an old interior. Where is it?
storeliker
Contributor

old Safeway

Post by storeliker »

I'm not sure but if I recall it was on the Almaden Expressway somewhere. I never get down to San Jose and would really like to know myself so I can see it before it turns Lifestyle like all the others are doing at a fast rate. If anyone gets any pics let us know!
Also all those Albertsons closings down there, wow.
me
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

It's at 2306 Almeden Road at Curtner, just off Almeden Expressway. It didn't have the original color scheme, but did have the original walls and wall signage, just painted a more neutral color. I'd guess it opened about 1968. Interestingly, the exterior had been remodeled recently, as part of a renovation of the whole center.

There's also a red and white, golden arch clad, original McDonald's right down the street (not one of the new "retro" versions). The original building now houses a dining room, while a new section has been subtly added at the rear.
justin karimzad
Veteran

Post by justin karimzad »

The Safeway opened November 29, 1967. Even the restrooms scream '60s, and the doors to the women's and men's restrooms are labeled "ladies" and "gentlemen". There is also original wood paneling in the butcher room and the stairway that leads up to the restrooms, and the stockroom doors are still groovy orange.
storewanderer
Veteran

Post by storewanderer »

That store is a real fooler from the exterior. Granted the interior has a new (less than a decade old) floor and a fresh coat of paint so it doesn't exactly feel dated and perhaps the average customer doesn't even notice the dated wall signage and certain other things like those orange stockroom doors. Just a simple neighborhood store. Nothing fancy, nothing dumpy about it either. Not many customes when I went in either, but three cashiers and a smiling manager standing ready to serve. Maybe everyone was seeing off the ABS unit on Bird.
andysj500

Pictures?

Post by andysj500 »

Are there pictures of this store?
TheQuestioner
Contributor

Pictures

Post by TheQuestioner »

I took a few pictures of this location a couple of weeks ago. I plan to post them once I get the rest of the store. When I went I was being as careful as possible, since I know some retail stores have a bug up their butt about photography, especially interiors. Sure enough, after getting 6 or 7 shots, a clerk girl pops up in my face and tells me that photos aren't allowed, but that there was someone she could get to take photos for me, if I liked. I was ticked enough about being interrupted and didn't pursue finding out just who would "take pictures for me". Unusual idea if you ask me. Why offer to have someone take pictures, if taking pictures yourself is prohibited? I didn't want to risk getting my camera confiscated so I just left. She actually trailed me to the front to make sure I was actually leaving and not ducking back in to another part of the store! I plan to return there soon to get the other end of the store and the bathrooms and storeroom doors. I did manage to get the dairy case with the metal "lace" with the old "S" integrated into it. That was the main thing I wanted a pic of, I alwasy remember those from old Safeways.

Just what *IS* the big deal with these chains about photography? Granted, it's private property, but stores really are a public space. I'm not sure what "trade secrets" I could derive from photos of a 40 year old store, a store that any member of the public can enter an examine as much as they wish, just only with their eyes. Are there any retail chains that tend to be lax about photos? I know of some that are very paranoid, such as Fry's Electronics, but it would be nice to know if there are some stores that won't harass you for documenting their place in retail history.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

I've split the emerging store photos discussion into a separate topic here:

http://www.groceteria.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=496
TheStranger
Veteran

Post by TheStranger »

TheQuestioner: Have you had time to get the photos uploaded or anything yet? Would be nice to see them, especially with such a vintage interior...
Chris Sampang