Spencer's in Morro Bay, California--CORONET?

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

Dean
Veteran

Spencer's in Morro Bay, California--CORONET?

Post by Dean »

15 January 2007 | Link this

Spencer's in Morro Bay, California, snapped by Mark while he was visiting his parents thsi weekend. I can't help thinking this used to be something else. Whatever it was, it looks pretty cool.
From the pix that was posted today on the main page...POSSIBLY a CORONET dime store--I believe it was a chain. Not sure what center this is in...but there was a center in that area, off 101, that housed a SAFEWAY I believe with a CORONET.

<<<Edited by moderator to properly frame quoted material. Please read this post for info on how to quote messages.>>>
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Re: Spencer's in Morro Bay, California--CORONET?

Post by Groceteria »

Dean wrote: From the pix that was posted today on the main page...POSSIBLY a CORONET dime store
Maybe, but it seems a good bit bigger than the average Coronet store.
surfingdude
Contributor

Post by surfingdude »

Spencer's Morro Bay was a Young's Giant Foods originally. It was never a Coronet. You might be thinking of the center in Atascadero, off Highway 101, which housed a Safeway, Coronet and Thrifty Drug.
Young's also had an identical store in San Luis Obispo on South Broad Street, which was sold to Williams Bros. Markets sometime in the mid to late 80's. The San Luis store became a Vons, and was closed when Vons built a new store at Broad St. and Tank Farm Road.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

surfingdude wrote:Spencer's Morro Bay was a Young's Giant Foods originally.
Thanks. Would that be the same Young's that operated in Bakersfield?
surfingdude
Contributor

Post by surfingdude »

I have heard that the Central Coast Young's were operated by different members of the same extended family. I had forgotten that Young's also had a store in Arroyo Grande which they sold to Williams Bros. along with the Broad St. store in San Luis Obispo. The Arroyo Grande store was closed and torn down for a Rite-Aid in the early 90's.
BTW, I enjoy the site. Good Job!
J-Man
Veteran

Coronet?

Post by J-Man »

Are you sure you don't mean CORNET? I've never heard of Coronet.
Dean
Veteran

Re: Coronet?

Post by Dean »

J-Man wrote:Are you sure you don't mean CORNET? I've never heard of Coronet.
You are probably right...only one (1) O. Guess I was thinking of the TP with the same name!

SURFINGDUDE...wasn't there a CORNET in the Morro Bay/Los Osos/Baywood Park area?! I remember going to Morro Bay and shopping @ Cornet. Thought it was housed in the same center as a SAFEWAY. The SAFEWAY may have been turned into a thrift/antique shop. So therefore...probably on HWY 1 vs 101.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

Dean wrote:
You are probably right...only one (1) O. Guess I was thinking of the TP with the same name!

SURFINGDUDE...wasn't there a CORNET in the Morro Bay/Los Osos/Baywood Park area?! I remember going to Morro Bay and shopping @ Cornet. Thought it was housed in the same center as a SAFEWAY. The SAFEWAY may have been turned into a thrift/antique shop. So therefore...probably on HWY 1 vs 101.
There was one several years ago off highway 1 I want to say in Cayocus. It was further up the highway.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Jeff wrote:
Dean wrote:

There was one several years ago off highway 1 I want to say in Cayocus. It was further up the highway.
Hey thanks...yes, that has got to be the center.
surfingdude
Contributor

Post by surfingdude »

Dean:
There was a Cornet in Morro Bay. I think it was in a center with Williams Bros. Market and Thrifty Drug. The Williams Bros. is now Vons, and Thrifty is Rite-Aid.
The Safeway (gable) was closed in the early 80's, became a Payless Durg, and was then demolished for a new center with Albertson's as the anchor. If I remember correctly, this occurred in the very late 90's.
These two centers are on the ocean side on Hwy. 1; Spencer's is on the opposite side of Hwy. 1.