This is a list of all known chain grocery addresses in Phoenix between 1925 and 1960, compiled from city directories, telephone books, and other sources. It is generated through a live Google Spreadsheet so it reflects the latest information I have.
- Safeway purchased the ten-year-old Pay’n Takit chain in 1928 and used the brand in other regions during the 1930s. It was Safeway’s only brand in Phoenix until 1939, when the stores were rebranded as Safeway.
- Safeway/Pay’n Takit individual locations do not appear in directories after 1938 and before 1947. Further research may permit me to add 1941 locations later.
- It appears that several Bayless stores were sold to Pay’n Takit (Safeway) between 1930 and 1935, although some of the addresses are not 100% certain.
- Basha’s seems to have briefly disappeared between 1951 and 1960.
- A few stores branded Pay’n Takit exist after Safeway retired the banner in the late 1930s. These seem to be a separate company but I am not sure about that.
- AJ Bayless
- El Rancho
- Pay’n Takit
- Piggly Wiggly