Colonial Stores, Pender’s, and Big Star

Printable version

Colonial Stores abandoned the Charlotte NC market in 1984, selling their locations to Harris Teeter. This was a precursor to the 1988 sale of the remaining Carolinas locations.

Colonial stores were located in some of the most historically significant shopping center developments in North Carolina, including Charlotte’s Charlottetown Mall, the first enclosed mall in the Carolinas (and one of the first in the southeast), and Raleigh’s Cameron Village. The latter store was profiled in depth in a shopping center design text in 1950.

More to come.

In This Section:

More Information: