This is about the shopping center on Whittier Boulevard in La Habra, CA, between Idaho and Hacienda. I vaguely recall there were supermarkets on both ends of the center, one on Whittier and Idaho, and one on Whittier and Hacienda. The one on the eastern end, Whittier and Idaho, has been documented on this site, it was a Market Basket until 1982, than became Hughes Market until 1997, than Ralph's until the mid 2000s, than was briefly a Crown Books outlet, before its current life as Nortgate. But I'm trying to find out the history of the store on the western end, on Whittier and Hacienda. I remember it was a Sears outlet in the mid to late 80s, but I vaguely recall it being a supermarket in the late 70s-early 80s. Does anyone recall if it was a supermarket during that time frame, and what market it was?
Picky, picky, picky...
It was a Shopping Bag (1611 Whittier) in 1971 and 1975.
https://www.groceteria.com/place/califo ... d-lahabra/
https://www.groceteria.com/place/califo ... d-lahabra/
Thank you. I'm guessing that location was still a Shopping Bag in 1980,... I vaguely remember shopping there with my mom back in the fall of 1980.Groceteria wrote: ↑01 Oct 2026 10:46 It was a Shopping Bag (1611 Whittier) in 1971 and 1975.
https://www.groceteria.com/place/califo ... d-lahabra/
Picky, picky, picky...
I stand corrected. I did a little research, and as it turns out, Shopping Bag went out of business in 1978. Anyways, now that I recall, I think it might have been an Albertson's in 1980...I don't know when that market closed, but I do remember it was a Sears outlet by late 1985...Hughes56781 wrote: ↑01 Oct 2026 21:39Thank you. I'm guessing that location was still a Shopping Bag in 1980,... I vaguely remember shopping there with my mom back in the fall of 1980.Groceteria wrote: ↑01 Oct 2026 10:46 It was a Shopping Bag (1611 Whittier) in 1971 and 1975.
https://www.groceteria.com/place/califo ... d-lahabra/
Picky, picky, picky...