This is a list of all known chain grocery addresses in Scranton (including Dunmore and Moosic) between 1925 and 2021, compiled from city directories, newspapers, telephone books, and other sources. It is generated through a live Google Spreadsheet so it reflects the latest information I have.
- Grand Union was established in Scranton. In 1929, they closed their three remaining stores in the city upon the opening of a large new store at 221 Wyoming Avenue. This store closed in 1940, making Grand Union’s exit from its hometown.
- All the Acme stores in Scranton were rebranded as Super Saver around 1967-1968.
- When the A&P “meltdown” of 1975 shuttered stores nationwide, the downtown Scranton store, which opened in the late 1920s and was still operating, was one of the losses.
- Scranton’s population peaked in the 1930s so its development pattern is a bit unique and it retained older and smaller stores for a good bit longer than many cities.
- American/Acme/Super Saver
- Giant Food
- Giant Markets
- Grand Union
- Mr Z’s/Weis