This is a list of all known chain grocery addresses in Houston between 1925 and 1982, compiled from city directories, telephone books, and other sources. It is generated through a live Google Spreadsheet so it reflects the latest information I have.
- Houston is odd in that the suffixes “street”, “avenue”, and “road” seem to have changed dramatically at some point since 1982. The numbers all seem to match up OK though.
- Kroger purchased Henke & Pillot in 1955, and apparently retired the Henke name starting in 1966. The 1975 directory still lists most stores under the hyphenated “Henke-Kroger” name, though I suspect it was not actually being used at that point.
- Safeway seems to have abandoned almost all its original (and relatively new) stores in Houston by sometime between 1975 and 1982, but also to have opened several new locations. This seems a little odd to me and may require some additional research.
- ABC Stores
- Henke & Pillot
- Lewis & Coker
- Grocery Stores at Houston Historic Retail
- Old timey Houston grocery stores – Did you shop at any of these?
- Henke & Pillot Stores – Houston