This is a list of all known chain grocery addresses in Mobile between 1924 and 2000, compiled from city directories, telephone books, and other sources. It is generated through a live Google Spreadsheet so it reflects the latest information I have.
View and download the location spreadsheet via Google Sheets. (You cannot edit the spreadsheet directly.).
- National, Big D, and No Frills are listed as they were in the directories. The actual store operating names were mix and match and often ambiguous for this chain.
- Delchamps 1980 locations are missing. I have extrapolated where possible and will update this as soon as I can.
- Prichard and Chickasaw may be added at a later date. There was too much missing data and too many ambiguities for me to complete these suburbs right now.
- Delchamps was founded in Mobile, with the first location at 450 Canal Street. The chain would be asborbed by jitney Jungle in the 1990s, and Jitney Jungle would be acquired by Winn-Dixie a few years later.
- Bruno’s/Food World/Food Fair
- Greer’s (Autry Greer & Sons)
- National/Big D
- Piggly Wiggly