This is a list of all known chain grocery addresses in Paterson (including Haledon, Hawthorne, Little Falls, Prospect Park, Totowa, and West Paterson/Woodland Park) between 1925 and 1964, compiled from city directories, telephone books, and other sources. It is generated through a live Google Spreadsheet so it reflects the latest information I have.
- A&P had a presence in Paterson by at least 1885, and its Main Street store was apparently spared in the great Paterson fire of 1902.
- Great Eastern Stores was established in 1910 and began operating supermarkets under the Stop & Shop name in the late 1930s alongside its traditional stores. The company merged with Grand Union in 1952 and most of its existing stores in Paterson were closed over the next few years. Grand Union would eventually locate its headquarters in suburban East Paterson (now Elmwood Park).
- National Grocery Company was acquired by Safeway in 1941 and none of the Paterson stores seem to have made the transition.
- Some suburban locations may be missing in 1960 and 1964; I hope to rectify this soon.
- I hope to add locations at least through 1971 at a later date pending acquisition of additional data.
- Acme/American Stores
- Food Fair
- Grand Union
- Great Eastern Stores
- National Grocery Co.