This is a list of all known chain grocery addresses in Salt Lake City between 1920 and 1990, compiled from city directories, telephone books, and other sources. It is generated through a live Google Spreadsheet so it reflects the latest information I have.
- Update through 2021 is forthcoming.
- The addressing convention reflects the current system for addresses in Salt Lake City and pre-1973 addresses on the north and west sides have been updated to the current street numbers as of the 1973 adjustment.
- Safeway-owned Piggly Wiggly seems to have purchased the Standard chain in 1929, resulting in several addresses being listed under both names.
- In 1990, a sixty-plus-year-old O.P. Skaggs store (that was built as a Skaggs-Safeway) at 422 N 300 W was still operating under the Skaggs name. I’m not sure when it finally closed.
- Safeway would exit Salt Lake City in 1987, selling its stores to Detroit-based Borman’s, then-operator of Farmer Jack stores. They did last through 1990.
- Crystal Palace Market
- Grand Central Market
- O.P. Skaggs System
- Piggly Wiggly
- Sewell United
- Skaggs Cash Stores
- Smith’s Food King