This is a list of all known chain grocery addresses in Halifax and Dartmouth between 1925 and 2000, complied from city directories, telephone books, and other sources. It is generated through a live Google Spreadsheet so it reflects the latest information I have.
- Where to begin? Basically every address in Halifax was renumbered between 1960 and 1965. The “new” system is one of the oddest I’ve ever seen anywhere, but fortunately there is documentation that allowed me either to match addresses directly or to offer a reasonable approximation. The approximations are italicized.
- Acadia Stores were associated with the Hopgood family for most (if not all) of their existence. There were stores operated under the Hopgood name as well.
- The Teasdale Stores in Dartmouth were apparently affiliated with the larger Superior Chain Stores in 1935 as they were listed under both names. Superior did not appear in the 1930 or 1940 directories.
- Yes, Sobeys apparently did operate two stores across from each other on Mumford Road for a number of years. One was connected to a mall while the other was part of a separate centre across the street. The same arrangement currently exists in Dieppe NB, though one of those stores was originally a Dominion.
- I am missing definitive data for Capitol Stores, 1940. I was able to extrapolate stores that stayed open throughout the period but the others are marked with question marks.
- Acadia Stores/Hopgood’s
- Atlantic Superstore/Save-Easy
- Capitol Stores
- Community Stores
- International Provision Co.