New book that you want:
…and not just because I’m several footnotes and an acknowledgement in it. This one is really good and was written by a colleague of mine at UNCG. There will be a better review coming soon, but you can pre-order now. It drops on 1 August.
Newly added since last I bothered to update the front page:
Kansas City Area, updated with the addition of:
- Kansas City (Kansas) Chain Grocery/Supermarket Locations, 1925-1992
- Independence Chain Grocery/Supermarket Locations, 1924-1991
- Shawnee-Mission still to come
True North strong and free:
I’m off this weekend for some quality time in Canada. After a weeklong conference in Toronto, I’ll be going other places yet to be determined. This will be my first trip to Toronto post-pandemic (it’s usually an annual destination for me but I was thwarted by an early winter storm last year) and I am much excited, particularly following my big recent Toronto update. If you see me in Loblaws, say hello.
I haven’t been chatty lately, but I have added new stuff over the past couple of months.
New location lists:
I’m especially excited about the Toronto updates. This was a major expansion helped along by access I now have to a lot more digitized material that has allowed me to fill in a good number of franchise and other gaps. Toronto is one of my “adopted hometowns” and is one of the places I want to give a special focus to, so there will be more to come. I’ll be adding more photos and also expanding the timeline.
In which I give a public talk about Triad supermarket history for the High Point Historical Society at the High Point Museum.
It was a great crowd and this was tons of fun!
By request from a Twitter poll, Amarillo chain grocery.supermarket locations, 1925-2020. It’s more interesting than I expected, I must admit. Lots of independents and small chains, plus an unusual (for the late 1950s) entrance through acquisition of a local chain by Safeway.
The latest batch of new pages:
- Lexington, Kentucky, 1925-2020
- Lewiston and Auburn, Maine, 1930-1966
- Hamilton/Fairfield, Ohio, 1925-2020
- Lancaster, Pennsylvania, 1925-2020
And some updates:
And here’s what’s on the horizon over the next few months.
- Syracuse NY, 1925-2020
- Mobile AL, 1924-2020
- New Brunswick NJ, 1926-1984
- El Paso TX, 1925-2020
- Burlington ON and Hamilton Suburbs, 1960-2022
- Belleville ON, 1932-2006
- McKeesport PA, 1925-1972
Additions since the last post:
- Tucson Chain Grocery/Supermarket Locations, 1925-2022
- Louisville Chain Grocery/Supermarket Locations, 1922-2022
- Rochester (Minnesota) Chain Grocery/Supermarket Locations, 1925-2020
- Passaic and Clifton Chain Grocery/Supermarket Locations, 1925-1962
- Paterson Chain Grocery/Supermarket Locations, 1925-1964
- Altoona Chain Grocery/Supermarket Locations, 1925-2020
- Johnstown Chain Grocery/Supermarket Locations, 1925-1960
- Chattanooga Chain Grocery/Supermarket Locations, 1920-2022
Also, if you’re not following me on Twitter, you missed (but can still see) pictures from road trips to Detroit and to Pittsburgh, Altoona, and Johnstown.