This is a list of all known chain grocery addresses in Indianapolis between 1926 and 2001, compiled from city directories, telephone books, and other sources. It is generated through a live Google Spreadsheet so it reflects the latest information I have.
- Standard Stores was purchased by National Tea in 1947. Del Farm was also a National banner.
- The Seven to Eleven (later Seven-Eleven) chain in Indianapolis was a chain of small supermarkets (several of them repurposed Kroger locations) that was NOT related to the national convenience store chain.
- Safeway and Preston Safeway were NOT related to the national chain.
- Stop & Shop was co-branded with Colonial Stores on at least some locations. These stores closed around 1964 and many were sold to Standard.
- Kroger operated a convenience store chain called “Happy Food Stores” for a short time in the mid-1970s. Those locations are not included here.
- Allied Supermarkets also had a district office in Indianapolis, perhaps for Kmart Food operations.
- Del Farm (National)
- Piggly Wiggly
- Preston Safeway (not affiliated with the national Safeway chain)
- Seven to Eleven
- Standard (National)
- Stop & Shop (Colonial)