This is a list of all known chain grocery addresses in Topeka between 1926 and 2020, compiled from city directories, telephone books, and other sources. It is generated through a live Google Spreadsheet so it reflects the latest information I have.
- Topeka is one of those interesting areas where A&P, Kroger, and Safeway all operated simultaneously, if only for about fifteen years or so.
- The Grand Union chain that operated in Topeka is almost certainly not the same one that served the northeastern USA.
- I am not 100% certain how much of a connection there was between the assorted Roose chains.
- Kroger abandoned the market in the early 1950s but returned with its purchase of Dillon’s in 1983.
- Falley’s and Food 4 Less were the same company and I am not sure which actual brand names appeared on which stores at which times. The list gives the names as noted in the city directory, which may or may not reflect the actual name used.