- Established in 1957 as Food Town by members of the Ketner family, who had previously operated Ketner’s stores but sold out to Winn-Dixie.
- First location still stands at 1818 West Innes Street in Salisbury NC.
- Knowing for LFPINC (Lowest Food Prices in North Carolina) ad campaign and bumper stickers in the 1970s.
- Acquired by Belgian Delhaize Group in 1974.
- Name changed in 1983 to permit expansion into areas with pre-existing Foodtown chains.
- Briefly operated upscale Bloom (2004-2012) and limited assortment Bottom Dollar (2005-2015).
More information offsite:
- The Town That Built Food Lion
- Food Lion on Wikipedia
- Food Lion: A Neighbor to Count On (60th anniversary book)