The Tampa Bay area is a fascinating area for the study of chain supermarkets as well as shopping centers. Historically an innovative and competitive market, the area has been fertile territory for such Florida-based chains as Publix, Winn-Dixie, and Kash n’ Karry (now Sweetbay Supermarkets). Numerous national chains, including Kroger, Grand Union, and American Stores, have found it less hospitable, although A&P, Food Fair/Pantry Pride and Albertsons had somewhat better luck.
This section is in the midst of a major update as of January 2020. Pinellas County is nearly complete. Hillsborough County and Bradenton will follow soon.
In This Section:
- Clearwater/Largo FL Chain Grocery/Supermarket Locations, 1926-2015
- Bradenton Chain Grocery/Supermarket Locations, 1927-1999
- St Petersburg and Southern Pinellas County Chain Grocery/Supermarket Locations, 1925-2015
- Tampa Chain Grocery/Supermarket Locations, 1925-2015
- Tampa Bay Area Photo Gallery
- Tampa Bay Area History Timeline
Elsewhere in Groceteria.com: