Grand Rapids is known as the home of Meijer Stores (though the chain was actually established about 30 miles away in the town of Greenville), but has also been home to A&P and Kroger stores, and to other local chains, many of them connected to wholesaler SpartanNash (originally Spartan Stores).
In this section:
Most of these items were photographed with a phone (thus the quality) at the Grand Rapids Public Library.
- Article on opening of Eberhard supermarket in Grand Rapids (1939)
- Article on opening of first Meijer Supermarket in Grand Rapids (1949)
- Eberhard Stores employee newsletter (ca. 1960)
- Thrifty Acres article (1961)
- Excerpt from Meijer 50th anniversary newspaper section (1984)
- Store directory from Meijer location on 28th St SE (first Thrifty Acres store ) (ca. 1980s)
- Meijer locations history (ca. 1987)
- Meijer history (February 1989)
JasonDecember 20, 2018 at 6:20pm
You have a Meijer listed at Woodward & South Beltline. South Beltline refers to 28th St.
GroceteriaDecember 20, 2018 at 8:39pm
Duly noted and updated. Thanks!