These are the latest blog updates. Click on the title to read the full article.
Lots of new additions, including the research I did during my recent trip to Atlantic Canada:
Look for photos and some additional info on these soon.
And back in the USA, a set of new additions, mostly thanks to Andrew Turnbull:
- Montgomery AL
- Bloomington-Normal IL
- Waukegan IL
- Ft Wayne IN
- Ann Arbor MI
- Dearborn MI
- Springfield MO
- Missoula MT
Update: All is well with the message board.
A PHP update at my web host is causing problems with the message board. You can still read posts; there will just be some annoying code at the top of some pages. I’m traveling and have neither the time nor the inclination to work on it till I get home this weekend. Sorry for any inconvenience.
The map is really filling in. Between online resources and a fair amount of travel, not to mention some generous assistance from a guest explorer, there are now thirty states and five provinces represented on the site. The most recent additions are as follows:
And there are a number of cities large and small, American and Canadian, in the queue, including expanded lists for Boston and Toronto, more Metro Cincinnati, Richmond and Petersburg, and more.
In fact, I have decided to set a goal of having at least one city in every state completed within the next year. That said, Alaska might be tricky as there are no real data sources online that I have found. But I’ll try! If anyone wants to help, have a look at my methodology page. It would be great to have locals (who would have access to full runs of city directories in their libraries) pitching in. And maybe I’ll waste time creating some kind of status graphic. Or not…
Over a period of 78 years, from 1909 to 1987, a total of 42 A&P-owned stores opened (and closed) in Greensboro, North Carolina. Of those, 24 are still standing as of 2018. This article series will trace the history of all 42 locations and include photos from the 24 remaining buildings.
As far as I can tell, the top right structure was the original early-1950s “pylon” Safeway. Sometime around 1965-1966, the footprint was dramatically enlarged to create a Safeway/Super S combo. The “scalloped” roof (lower right) was added to the old Safeway to create the Super S drug store and a new Marina-style Safeway was built to the left. The whole shebang closed in the mid-1980s.
The latest updates:
- Pueblo CO
- Grand Junction CO
- London ON (courtesy of Andrew Turnbull)
- Manitowoc WI (also courtesy of Andrew Turnbull)
There will probably be more, as this is a holiday weekend in the US and I have no life.
All the cool kids are doing it.
OK, only a couple of the cool kids are doing it. But that could change…
Two new additions for your viewing pleasure:
Photo above is a former Kroger on Mercer Street in Princeton WV.
I’m planning a weekend road trip later in May that may take me to either Columbus, Cincinnati, or Louisville. I might listen to requests or I might ignore them, depending on my mood.
I’ve been neglectful about posting these here as I complete them. Here are some recent additions that you would have known about sooner if you were following @GroceteriaWeb on Twitter. It’s been a busy few months and the map is filling out nicely!
- Edmonton Chain Grocery/Supermarket Locations, 1930-1987 (UPDATED)
- Calgary Chain Grocery/Supermarket Locations, 1930-1991 (UPDATED)
- Guelph Chain Grocery/Supermarket Locations, 1938-1980 (NEW)
- Peterborough Chain Grocery/Supermarket Locations, 1925-2010 (NEW)
- Windsor Chain Grocery/Supermarket Locations, 1924-2000 (NEW)
- Regina Chain Grocery/Supermarket Locations, 1924-1995 (NEW)
- Saskatoon Chain Grocery/Supermarket Locations, 1930-1995 (UPDATED)
- East Providence Chain Grocery/Supermarket Locations, 1925-1998 (NEW)
- Newport Chain Grocery/Supermarket Locations, 1925-1981 (NEW)
- Pawtucket/Central Falls Chain Grocery/Supermarket Locations, 1925-1998 (NEW)
- Providence/Cranston Chain Grocery/Supermarket Locations, 1925-2005 (NEW)
- West Warwick/Coventry Chain Grocery/Supermarket Locations, 1936-1991 (NEW)
- Warwick/East Greenwich Chain Grocery/Supermarket Locations, 1925-1989 (NEW)
- Woonsocket Chain Grocery/Supermarket Locations, 1925-1996 (NEW)
- Charleston SC Chain Grocery/Supermarket Locations, 1924-2015 (NEW)
- Rock Hill Chain Grocery/Supermarket Locations, 1933-2000 (NEW)
I’m playing around with a new design for the site, as you may or may not have noticed. After eight years using the same old WordPress template, with a responsive add-on for mobile devices, I decided it was time to go with a complete responsive theme, to make the sit a little easier to deal with for users who access it on phones and tablets. This should also make for a little bit cleaner look all around, though it may never be as minimal as it was back in its first year:
Things may be odd for a few days while I fix the inevitable broken parts. Let me know if anything is seriously amiss anywhere.
The Message Board was updated a year or so back, so it won’t be changing for the foreseeable future.